• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PDF viewer - desperately need

VladDracule

Jun 26, 2012
Hello everyone, I am in desperate need of a PDF viewer that meets my requirements.

I will start off by saying i have tried QPDF, BeamReader, Adobe, Documents to go...i cant think of any others, but everything ive tried thus far has been free and unsuccessful.

Oh also Mantano Reader - this one when trying to load a PDF file it crashes every single time on some of my larger pdfs, no question about it so this is also a no go

First off i will say my PDF's are large. very large, one over 30mbs, the other well over 300 MBS

The only one that seems to even really be able to open them without fail is Adobe, however Adobe's PDF viewer does not allow for adding bookmarks which is an extremely poor design if you ask me.

I am reading textbooks, which is why the files are large (they are mostly picture scans) and flipping between problem pages and pages that i need to reference them is really really cumbersome without the use of bookmarks.

I need something desperately that will open large documents without fail, and will allow me to readially add bookmarks on the go

Well any program makes certain assumptions... assuming that most users won't have 300MB of bitmap data in what is usually a vector based format on a mobile device seems to be a reasonable assumption. Many mobile devices won't have that amount of free memory to allocate.

The best solution would be to get a copy of the PDF in a nicely done OCR based scan , failing that you could try fixing it yourself.. but if you can't do that then splitting it would be a quick and easy fix, which would then allow you to use a wider range of PDF programs.

Splitting your PDF into chapters would help you navigate as well... until its OCRed you're not going to be able to search the text anyway.

Upvote 0
PDF textbooks that are only scanned images does sound rather odd to me....

Small wonder those files are ginormous!

And if a file is bigger than the available free RAM it is certain to crash (on a PC or Mac if the RAM is full it can use a bit of the HD as virtual RAM, although it's obviously a LOT slower than normal; I doubt Android devices can use a part of the SDcard as virtual RAM).

Upvote 0
Assuming you don't have a full copy of acrobat, then PDF Split and Merge or Edit PDF | Edit PDF for free are both free but there are plenty of others

I took your advice and i got a full version of Adobe Reader pro, and i split one of my books by chapters, however the file sized of the documents it created are horrendous!!!

The original document size was 38,760KB or ~40 MB

After splitting it, each individual document is ~15 MB
A few of the chapter documents on their own approach 23 MB

If i add up all the split documents the total file size is larger than 377 MB which does not compute at all

And ideas why this may be?

Upvote 0
A 40MB PDF file shouldn't be a problem for an Android reader :)
Mantano Reader reads 200MB PDF's on my phone.

With which phone or tablet did you try?

Harry

Im finding Mantano reader to be absolutely horrible, i split my pdf documents so their a max of 20 mb now, and it does not load any of the split files past the first few pages. i need something else. Im only using the lite, but i see no reason to purchase the full version with this kind of behavior out of the free one

Upvote 0
Are you really just in it for free apps? As I mentioned before ezPDF works wonders on rendering huge books. I use medical textbooks on it.

No i was using the free version of these pdfs to see if they would suit my needs and so far none of them have, im wary of buying apps due to the shitty 15 minute refund period google store has put on us. Im going to try ezPDF when i have enough time to really test it out in 15 minutes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones