• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Peacocks

(Moved these posts to their own thread)

And another p.s. to Moody...who is killing all the Peacocks? I saw a story about that?
Luckily, that's not here in the San Gabriel Valley, it's over in Palos Verdes Peninsula. It makes my blood boil to think of someone killing these birds. *I* feel absolutely blessed to have these spectacular birds in my neighborhood and yard. I can't imagine wanting to harm them. Sure, they're loud during mating season, but big deal--that's typically only during the day. And, yes, they leave poop everywhere, but it makes great fertilizer! :D (Seriously, I instruct my gardeners to move the poop to plant areas where it can do its thing.)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Killing peacocks?? You're shitting me!!!:thinking::eek:
No, unfortunately. It's true.

such a beautiful specimen?? How many :what::mad:
I hadn't heard anything about this in a few weeks, and almost the moment the topic come up in this thread, what happens? I'm watching the local news on KCAL 9 and they have a long segment about it! It's not up on their "Seen on TV" section yet, but should be later today.

Meanwhile, here's some info from the LA Times on July 22:

Sketch released of suspected peacock killer on Palos Verdes Peninsula

Officials on Tuesday released an artist's sketch of a man who they say shot and killed a peacock from his Mercedes-Benz, adding to the mounting two-year death toll for the birds that have called the area home for decades.

A witness told officials that the man, who was driving a silver Mercedes sedan, stopped at about 8:20 p.m. July 9 in the 27000 block of Eastvale Road on the Palos Verdes Peninsula and fired a pellet gun from the driver's seat, killing a peacock that was standing in a driveway.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles released a sketch of the man Tuesday as well as an appeal for the public's help in identifying him.

More than 50 of the exotic birds have been killed or injured over the last two years in the Palos Verdes Peninsula and Rolling Hills Estates areas. While some of the peacocks were killed accidentally, a significant number of the deaths were intentional, prompting an investigation by animal control and law enforcement officials.

The peacocks — which were imported to the Palos Verdes Peninsula a century ago — are a rustic part of life for many in the upscale suburb, but the birds have detractors who complain of their noisy, aggressive disposition.

For decades, the city and surrounding peninsula communities have tried to keep the peace through regulations, education programs and behavior modification for the birds.

But two years ago the situation turned violent and peacocks started turning up dead, killed with arrows, bullets and slingshots, authorities said.

The man in the July 9 incident was described as a white, 50 to 60 years old, with receding gray hair. He was wearing a white-collared shirt and aviator-style sunglasses.

Anyone with details about the suspect is urged to call Cesar Perea, director of SPCA-LA Animal Protection Services, at (323) 730-5300, ext. 272. To remain anonymous, call the animal cruelty tip line at (800) 540-7722.

Upvote 0
Yeah I googled it and got that same article. Unfortunately, I m assuming it's a heavily populated area so likelihood of someone recognizing the composite and turning him in is slim to none. I live in GA in the country lol so ya know if to get that good of a sketch someone is surely going to call and tell police. It's so sad because they're only doing what we do everyday. Eat walk around and socialize and procreate occasionally. They can't help it we don't make bedrooms and bathrooms for their privacy. Poor birds. It's only the males with the plume,right. Can't remember reading that detail. But thanks for the article

Upvote 0
Yeah I googled it and got that same article. Unfortunately, I m assuming it's a heavily populated area so likelihood of someone recognizing the composite and turning him in is slim to none.
I wouldn't be so sure. I'm continually amazed at how, in today's Internet-connected world, even the most remote clues tend to lead to the culprits.

What I don't understand is why nothing has been caught on surveillance cameras. Trust me, in upscale areas there are many properties with hidden cameras. Considering how long this has been going on (two years), it's just incredible to me that no one has caught anything on video. :thinking:

It's only the males with the plume,right. Can't remember reading that detail.
Yes, the males--which are the only ones rightfully called peacocks--are the richly colored ones; they have the magnificent, deep blue necks and crazy colorful, long feathers that they fan [in order to attract mates]. The females? Well, they're kind of boring looking!

dsc_4853_peafowl.jpg

That's a female on the left, and a young adult male on the right.

(Females are called peahens, and all of them collectively are called peafowl.)

Upvote 0
Wow I'm impressed. Not many people are as familiar with the India Peacock as I am. I was inquiring about whether its only the cocks who populate the area and are being killed. Or are the mamas going too? :( Surely you've seen a albino Peacock? I got
Sam from a breeder in South GA. Where they have the annual Peacock festival. He's a hybrid India/Albino. I can't post pics on AF yet but he's.magnificent with a alternating blue and white neck, standard India cock plume only the center (1/3) of his plume is standard albino cock solid white. Ohh he is superb. Wish I could post the pic but hopefully soon

Upvote 0
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking, andrea. :) No, it's not just males being killed, it's both.

There used to be an all-white peacock in my neighborhood, but he died off a while back. BTW, white peacocks are not albino; they have a genetic mutation called leucism that causes the lack of pigmentation. Here's my second-favorite peacock, a partially white young adult:

dsc_1010_partially_white_peacock_040714.jpg

Upvote 0
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking, andrea. :) No, it's not just males being killed, it's both.

There used to be an all-white peacock in my neighborhood, but he died off a while back. BTW, white peacocks are not albino; they have a genetic mutation called leucism that causes the lack of pigmentation. Here's my second-favorite peacock, a partially white young adult:"

First, I appreciate the clarification. Makes sense. Kinda like white blood cells are leukocytes...

Second...:eek::eek::eek: he's like Sam!!! Sam doesn't have the brown colors resembling the female though other than on the underside of his plume(fan). What's your #1

Upvote 0
This thread makes me sad. I will never understand people who kill innocent creatures for no reason whatsoever.
I know. I never can wrap my head around it. :thinking:

It's one thing to hunt for food, etc., but this kind of thing...ugh.
I don't believe in killing any sentient beings. And I'll leave it at that, or else I'll have to move this to Politics & Current Affairs...and then I can't post any more! :D

And...I'm back to thinking that some people just need to be beaten with sticks. :/
Ditto.

Upvote 0
:thinking: idk what happened but..Um...yeah..well...my actual comments abput halfway down. Lol
Just FYI, you can 'edit' your posts. :) Just edit it and add a closing quote tag after this sentence:

"Here's my second-favorite peacock, a partially white young adult:"

The closing quote tag is:

Code:
[/quote]

Or we can do it for you. :D

Upvote 0
Second...:eek::eek::eek: he's like Sam!!! Sam doesn't have the brown colors resembling the female though other than on the underside of his plume(fan). What's your #1
My favorite is the boy whose beautiful face is in my current avatar. Here he is putting on a squawk-fest for me in my driveway:

dsc_1944_MrPeacock_022812.jpg

Here he is looking for me--at my front door:

dsc_8429_MrPeacock_110113.jpg

And here he is in all his glory:

dsc_2101_MrPeacock_030112.jpg

This is his "kiss my ass!" pose:

dsc_1067_MrPeacock_052813.jpg

And here's my second favorite, as seen from my spot at my patio table; he's on top of the arbor:

dsc_2891_PWP_061314.jpg

:D

Upvote 0
Ahhh they're divine...Aren't they such confident birds?!? And everytime I look at Sam, two words come to mind regal and royal. Idk why I fell in love with them. I have feathers through the house I do diy projects with them etc etc etc. lol I know my family gets sick of it but with all of the evil acts we witness daily, my peacocks remind me of beauty n bring me peace.

Upvote 0
Ahhh they're divine...Aren't they such confident birds?!?
I just love them. Like I've said before, I feel extremely blessed to have them in my yard and city. Years ago, when I was living out-of-state and I'd come home to visit, they were just starting to hang out in this neighborhood. See, they originated at the Los Angeles Arboretum, which is a mile from my house. Over the years, as their population increased, they started moving outward from the Arboretum. So when I used to visit they were just getting started here, and it was exciting to see them. I remember how my daughter and I would be like, "oh, look! peacocks on grandma's garage roof!" :D Now they're just part of the scenery. But there isn't a day that goes by that I don't consciously think about how lucky I am to have them around.

And everytime I look at Sam, two words come to mind regal and royal.
I can't wait to see pictures of Sam! When you're able to post pics, let us know if you need any help with doing that, okay?

Tell us more about Sam: how old is he, does he have a girlfriend, how long have you had him, just whatever.

Idk why I fell in love with them.
Because they're spectacular and fun? :)

I have feathers through the house I do diy projects with them etc etc etc. lol
I have tons of feathers, both the long spectacular ones and also the short ones from their necks, but I never actually get around to making anything with them. And I have to keep the long ones hidden, or else my six [indoor only] cats would destroy them in two seconds flat. :eek:

I know my family gets sick of it but with all of the evil acts we witness daily, my peacocks remind me of beauty n bring me peace.
:)

Upvote 0
Moody, thanks for creating this thread. I was going to suggest it or create one. I also have two guys stopping by almost daily for a handout (they like whole wheat Ritz crackers and Planters Unsalted dry roasted peanuts).

They suddenly showed up about 8 years ago. There were two females and 4 or 5 males. The females ran off after having the three kids. The kids have grown up and left after a couple of litters.

A funny story about their arrival - I called the local police department and told the dispatcher that I hadn't been drinking, but had a bunch of peafowl in the road in front of my house. When she finally could stop laughing, she said a neighbor had already called it in. I ended the call by saying I know you can't do anything about them, but if someone calls about them being missing you know where they are.

I think they are very intelligent birds. More stories will follow

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
You're welcome, whitehat. I'm glad to find other peafowl people here!

Did you ever figure out where your peafowl visitors originated? I mean, do you know if they were pets or...?

Every spring I anxiously await the arrival of little ones. There's just nothing cuter than brand-new peachicks. (Well, okay, I'm lying...Great Dane puppies are cuter. :D) It's like the big payoff after months of mating ritual squawking and everything. Something I've gleaned over the years since I moved back here [in 2006] is that the mortality rate is extremely high. It used to bum me out, but now I'm finally accepting it as part of nature. It's not at all unusual to see a mother peahen with five or six chicks visiting every day, and then all of a sudden there are only two or three...or one chick left. :( But if not for this natural selection process, we'd be REALLY overrun by peafowl, so I guess it's a good thing.

Upvote 0
I was just thinking after reading these two posts of getting another. Unfortunately, I only recently got my neighbors to stop calling police/animal control over the "nuisance" that the one causes. And though he's not as loud as my mom warned me he'd be, I'm positive that a female around would amplify his call during mating season. Sadly, Im not lucky enough to have had any "Peacock Uprising."

I brought My Sammie home with me in a cardboard box with holes in the side. Id been saying "I'm getting a Peacock when yall go off to school." Well they saw the beak peeling out of a hole and the squealing/groaning started instantly. My son loves him passionately. My daughter the attention hog, does not appreciate his majestys presence. My husband feigns adoration for Sam to ensure my happiness. He even takes pictures of Sam making poop in the neighbors yard and sends them to me while I'm not home.

He was a surprise to the kids but I knew for weeks in advance what day he was coming home and my husband took off work so we could drive to South Georgia to pick him up. I've had him for a little over 4 years. we picked him up on our baby, Rosalies 1at birthday. Very Tough day to get through but he made it alot prettier. :eek: And Moody what is this girlfriend you speak of?? I am his girlfriend ;)

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Oh yeah moody posting the pictures, I thought I read in the forum rules that I can't post threads/pictures as a junior member?? And when I do try it only shows a little box with an error image inside. Did I imagine reading that?? I should probably double back and read em if I have to ask for clarification:thumbdown:

Upvote 0
You're welcome, whitehat. I'm glad to find other peafowl people here!

Did you ever figure out where your peafowl visitors originated? I mean, do you know if they were pets or...?

I can only guess about their origins:

A. Dr. Allen Hynek's book 'Night Siege - The Hudson Valley UFO Sightings' first sighting on page one is just in back of my property.My property abuts the land around the resevoir mentioned so I have to consider that an UFO could have dropped them off. I don't think so though.

B. Phil Imbrognio writes that some of the stone chasms here in Putnam County may actually be interdemensional gateways. They may have come through that way, but I don't thin k so.

C. That leaves some person who was raising them got tired of them and just dropped them off. I hate to think that people would do that, but it seems the most logical.

Every spring I anxiously await the arrival of little ones. There's just nothing cuter than brand-new peachicks. (Well, okay, I'm lying...Great Dane puppies are cuter. :D) It's like the big payoff after months of mating ritual squawking and everything. Something I've gleaned over the years since I moved back here [in 2006] is that the mortality rate is extremely high. It used to bum me out, but now I'm finally accepting it as part of nature. It's not at all unusual to see a mother peahen with five or six chicks visiting every day, and then all of a sudden there are only two or three...or one chick left. :( But if not for this natural selection process, we'd be REALLY overrun by peafowl, so I guess it's a good thing.
The females, when they were around, would disappear around February and show up with the kids (always 2 boys and one girl) around June. I had to laugh when I saw them. Mom was so proud marching down the driveway and around the house to make sure I would see them. One of the little girls would eat peanuts out of my hand until I decided they were wild and I shouldn't treat them as tame (some people probably should not be trusted).

Upvote 0
I can only guess about their origins:

A. Dr. Allen Hynek's book 'Night Siege - The Hudson Valley UFO Sightings' first sighting on page one is just in back of my property.My property abuts the land around the resevoir mentioned so I have to consider that an UFO could have dropped them off. I don't think so though.

B. Phil Imbrognio writes that some of the stone chasms here in Putnam County may actually be interdemensional gateways. They may have come through that way, but I don't thin k so.
:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

I like your sense of humor.

C. That leaves some person who was raising them got tired of them and just dropped them off. I hate to think that people would do that, but it seems the most logical.
:mad:

The females, when they were around, would disappear around February and show up with the kids (always 2 boys and one girl) around June. I had to laugh when I saw them. Mom was so proud marching down the driveway and around the house to make sure I would see them. One of the little girls would eat peanuts out of my hand until I decided they were wild and I shouldn't treat them as tame (some people probably should not be trusted).
For me, the females never disappear. They're here in my yard every day. But then we have a LOT of peafowl here, so it's possible the mothers actually are disappearing but I just don't notice their absence. At any rate, somewhere around mid-May to early July the moms start showing up with their babies. And I NEVER get tired of seeing them!

Regarding hand feeding... Oh dear... You see, I PROMISED myself that I would not hand feed any of them. Or give them names. I've been a miserable failure on both counts. :eek: I try to limit the hand-feeding to only my two favorites, but I really shouldn't even be doing that. I don't want them becoming so accustomed to humans that ANY human could offer them something to eat, which they'd accept without fear, and then perhaps be harmed [as noted, there's a peafowl killer loose in Palos Verdes, so bad people are out there]. But they're just so damned irresistible!

Upvote 0
We had a different kind of creature on the loose here in SoCal for the last few days, and it was first identified as an albino cobra snake. It was caught yesterday, and is currently at the LA Zoo before its likely transfer to San Diego. Anyway, it reminded me of our peacock talk because--like white peacocks--it's not albino, but leucistic:

The monocled cobra, first believed to be albino, is actually leucistic, meaning it lacks all pigment, Recchio said. It has blue eyes instead of the red that characterize an albino.

Source

white_cobra.jpg

I'm not a big fan of snakes, but even I have to admit s/he is pretty cool looking.

Upvote 0
We had a different kind of creature on the loose here in SoCal for the last few days, and it was first identified as an albino cobra snake. It was caught yesterday, and is currently at the LA Zoo before its likely transfer to San Diego. Anyway, it reminded me of our peacock talk because--like white peacocks--it's not albino, but leucistic:

white_cobra.jpg

I'm not a big fan of snakes, but even I have to admit s/he is pretty cool looking.

Thanks for following up on the Cobra. It was on the news here a few days ago. I am glad they caught it. They said the bite is fatal within about 1/2 hour. :eek:

I'm trying to copy some photos over from my old (It hasn't been powered up for about a year) PC. It has some photos of my :)D) peafowl.

Upvote 0
Thanks for following up on the Cobra. It was on the news here a few days ago. I am glad they caught it. They said the bite is fatal within about 1/2 hour. :eek:
Oh, you're welcome. :)

The snake has already been transferred to the San Diego Zoo, which was chosen because of its ready supply of antivenin for this particular type of snake. Good thing, too--after the cobra was caught yesterday and examined, it was found to be fully intact in terms of its poison glands, meaning it could kill if it bites.

I'm trying to copy some photos over from my old (It hasn't been powered up for about a year) PC. It has some photos of my :)D) peafowl.
Looking forward to seeing them!

Upvote 0
eating peacocks? seriously? like guinea fowl they are not very tasty to even the most carnivorous human. they are however, sadly, exploited for their beautiful feathers...

There's a few around here which are domesticated but are seen in deer parks and rescues, few as they are. I take photos from time to time. they're not very friendly and while you want to cuddle them, I do not recommend it.

aside the feather thing, they're generally loved by people around here. it's Whitetail Deer who end up as public enemy #1 where I live. it's truly sad that the most unique and beautiful species just happen to end up on the dinner plates of our species far too often... :(

Jack is a 9 year-old buck I visit each year further south, who happens to be my current profile pic (which gets updated as I get better photos) and if one is ever LUCKY enough to befriend deer anywhere in these parts, GET PHOTOS and TONS of 'em. it's very likely that deer will be dead shortly after. take time and enjoy every moment. it really shouldn't be this bad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones