Pebble Smartwatch and Nexus 5Tips

1. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

So my white Pebble is supposedly being delivered today, though snow in Maryland may delay that. I've been pretty excited about getting one since they announced the kickstarter awhile back and finally got one for my birthday. Anyone using one with Nexus 5?

I would think they'd be a great match considering N5 is one of the first with bluetooth 4 (I think?).

Advertisement
  2. charliecc

charliecc Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to hear how it goes, was considering getting one for a while.

However I'm waiting for the pebble 2, for me the current one's a bit too bulky and not having a mini usb charger is a huge downside.

That's not to say the next one will address those issues, but I live in hope.
  3. CodeDeveloper

CodeDeveloper Member

Been using my N5 with a Pebble since Xmas and love it. No problems whatsoever. :)

The current Pebble SDK is slightly limited at the moment - the watch just about does everything I need - but I'm looking forward to some new functionality when the watch is updated to use the V2 SDK (currently in beta).
    JunBringer likes this.
  4. charliecc

charliecc Well-Known Member

QQ: Does the Pebble alert (vibrate) when you go out of range?
  5. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Coincidentally I just won one on eBay. Anybody have any suggests for must try apps, or any uses besides the obvious notification and remote control?
  6. CodeDeveloper

CodeDeveloper Member

Never seen an option to do that - maybe an app is available though?
    charliecc likes this.
  7. CodeDeveloper

CodeDeveloper Member

Only other app I've installed besides the default Pebble app is Pebble Notifier - Lets you get watch notifications from any installed app on your phone (rather than just calls/SMS etc).
    euph_22 likes this.
  8. JunBringer

I would hope this is built in, but I'll have to try it.

So far I'm loving my Pebble. I love the watchfaces and notifications. Still looking for more stuff to try on it. I'm on the Pebble 2.0 beta so I'm looking forward to seeing some more cool stuff on that. I'll take some suggestions if anyone has any as well.
  9. unicyclist

unicyclist Well-Known Member

These guys are really helpful:
    Pebble - Pocketables

Check out their stuff about Tasker. I've been using it for years, and he always comes up with ideas I hadn't thought of.
    JunBringer and euph_22 like this.
  10. Johnston212

Johnston212 Member

Um, you might want to start looking at another smartwatch then. The Pebble was designed this way to create a complete seal, making it water resistant enough to go swimming with. If you want a microUSB charger, then you are looking at completely redesigning the Pebble and that is probably not going to happen.

I don't know what to say about the bulky part, but I have a larger than normal wrist, so it fits fine for my scale.
  11. Johnston212

Johnston212 Member

I've been using Augmented Smartwatch since I received my kickstarter edition. It works really well with a lot of useful notification features.

I am curious if anyone has any issues with the builtin music controller? I had everything working perfectly on my S3, but I haven't quite managed to get everything working properly on my N5. The controls work on the music app, but the music data never shows up. I haven't had the chance to double check the settings with my old phone yet, so I thought that I would just throw the question out there.
  12. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

It didn't but with the new Version 2 firmware it is now possible.
    I am using "Pebble Instant" as my watch face it displays
    BT status
    Mute
    temp
    phone battery
    watch battery
    + notifcation icons for various things email, sms, facebook etc

if the BT status changes to not connected it vibrates. It is only a single short vibrate the same as a notification but it's still useful.

Costs
    charliecc likes this.
  13. Biaviian

Biaviian Well-Known Member

Are you seeing much of a hit on your phone's battery?
  14. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

I can confirm that on v2.0 it can indeed vibrate when your watch and phone are out of range of each other.

I won a Pebble a few days ago on Ebay for
  15. JunBringer

I've noticed I'll get notifications on the Pebble but nothing on my Nexus 5, at least for Hangouts SMS. Kind of odd.
  16. CarsnGadgets

try a 3rd party notification app for the pebble like notification centre, it supports far more notifications than the stock one.
  17. CarsnGadgets

RichSz likes this.
  18. CarsnGadgets

19. seshu1984

seshu1984 New Member

20. CarsnGadgets

I'm now using AutoCast with Tasker and Pebbletasker to control my Chromecast! Amazing!
    and Aio Remote to control my PC.
    hisham2007 likes this.
  21. hisham2007

hisham2007 Member

I am the developer of "Aio Remote"

hope that you are interested in app. If you have suggestions or issues, please let me know.

support@aioremote.net
  22. CarsnGadgets

Hi, and thanks.

I like the app, but there are a few keys missing from the list (PC Keyboard) that I use, the 2 I can think of now are the + and - keys from the num pad, maybe I have missed them?

also, is there a way to add a delay or long press function some how, maybe as a tick box?

or a macro type function to assign a string of keyboard presses to one pebble button press? eg. A+B+C assigned to remote button 1.

otherwise its great. cheers.