1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Penguin X Run

Last Updated:

1. Vanquished

Vanquished Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey, I just found this sweet game on the Market under the "Just In" category. It is a port from the iPhone, but there doesn't seem to be a full version just yet, which has 25 levels. You can get a good feel for the game with the 4 level lite version that is available though.

"Move over, Lemmings. Here come the penguins! You take control of the cute little fellows and make them solve riddles, lead them through labyrinths and help them avoid traps or landmines. By using the motion sensors you will guide one, two .. or even crowds of penguins at once. Once you solved all missions, attack the online highscore by solving each map as fast as possible."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tilt controls with the acceleromoter takes a little getting used to, but works pretty well. One thing it is lacking is a calibration, so that's what makes it kind of difficult. Another little annoyance is that you can't "exit" the game. Only way to get out is with the home button, which leaves the program running in the background.

Also, from the user ratings, it seems like it is limited to certain devices. Doesn't seem to work with the Galaxy S or the Epic 4G. The developer website only shows it as available for the iPad/iPhone/iPod, so there is no way of knowing what devices are supported. There was an update a couple of hours ago though, so they it may be working on those devices now. I emailed them about the game (and a full version) so we'll see if they get back to me and what they say about some of these questions.

Related Links:
    http://www.penguinxrun.com/
    http://www.root9.org/en/index.php
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1499218718806

Advertisement
    Pushwall likes this.
  2. spacefrog

spacefrog New Member

Hi - thanks for posting some Penguin X Run gameinfo here...
    I'm the coder of this game and just stumbled over this post by accident. Of course i can not speak officially for Root9, so please keep this in mind for all the following things i write ;-).
    But nevertheless, i'm a curious person and like to hear feedback and critism about the game's pros and cons, shortcomings etc. For Android there's only the Lite Version available in the Market currently. The version got updated to V1.01 recently fixing some problems and graphics. Full version would be ready too, but Market still is limited to ~25 MB downloads , so things are not decided yet how and when the full version gets released.

Samsung Galaxy S by the way works GREAT ( i used it to port the game from iPhone using he Galaxy S). But there is a problem in Samsung's 2.1 Android OS/kernel implementation, which prevents the game to run correctly. You have to have Android 2.2 (Froyo) installed on the Galaxy S. This OS update currently is getting pushed through the offical channels AFAIK (update via KIES).
    For the interface and control shortcomings etc, well, i'd like to hear feedback of course. I had to squeeze A LOT of working hours into one day (7 days/week) , to hit the very tight deadline set with the game, so some interface and control features may very well be improvable. The same of course is valid for the missing calibration option.

Anyway - like always - the enduser decides what's a hit and what goes under. If interest in the android version is big enough ( and of course in the iphone/ipad versions too) , there will be updates, impovements, added features, levelpacks and what not. You can count on me than :D. I honestly think it's a great game, based on a great game-idea/design with a lot of additional ideas which did'nt make into the first release. But that does'nt mean they would'nt come in later versions, if the whole thing pays off ;-)
    So - i like to hear from you guys who tested the lite version - how does' the game work for you ? What could we have done better ? If you got technical problems with the game - please post the device and the android version you tested with...

greetings, Josef

Pushwall likes this.
  3. Vanquished

Vanquished Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Only thing I would really like added (and from the ratings, most people) is the calibration option.

One thing I liked in the game Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. is how it calibrates the device before every level. So, I could be laying down, sitting up, sideways, etc. and it ill calibrate it to that position so when I start the game I'm not automatically spinning out of control.

4. Pushwall

Pushwall Well-Known Member

I just played through the first level. Very nice 3D graphics and animations! I agree with Vanquished that it would be nice to have a calibration option every level (good idea!). Other than that, the game is high quality fun and one I would definitely buy!

5. spacefrog

spacefrog New Member

That sounds like a good suggestion. Technically it's a bit complex to implement, because the sensor values max out/flip in such positions and i would have to implement some sort of interpolation scheme ...
    Anyway i'll keep that idea in mind...

On the dark side ( iPhone har har ), great things are happening currently. "Penguin X Run" gets featured by Apple worldwide (means we have a big banner on the itunes front page, what of course means more sales. This is a thing no one can influence, but Apple people themselves decided that it might worth to give our game such exposure...

6. hydralisk

hydralisk Well-Known Member

Ugh. So many people use Galaxy S phones with android 2.1 and Samsung is taking their sweet time getting it to us. Would be nice if this game could be working on my Epic... but I can always try it on my Fiance's Evo I suppose...

7. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member

wow this game looks awesome! i'll definitely buy it.

8. Pushwall

Pushwall Well-Known Member

I tried the game some more and really like it. Controlling those frustrating penguins and solving the puzzles,...all mixed with the colorful 3D graphics is fun stuff! I want the full version and want it now!! :cool:

9. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Holy Schmidt! 19mb!

Play is frustrating to say the least! Leaning forward to make them move is beyond a pain in the ass!

But, nice graphics. Like that makes a difference when you can't play the game. Sorry, just throwing out constructive criticism.