• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

People buy Android phones but don't use them?

Just at first glance, that report only takes into account mobile web browsing. So it probably doesn't include the numerous apps that also make use of a data connection.

If you want a better perspective of total data usage per month:
Nielsen: Android Data Usage Only Averages 0.6GB A Month - Do Tiered Data Plans Make Sense?

It's an olderish report, but may give you a better idea of how much data each OS is actually using versus just web browsing.

Upvote 0
I've always been curious about that activation number. As in, I'm always curious how many of those activations are people flashing ROMs? Or hard resetting/resetting to factory defaults, that sort of thing. Surely, it probably isn't a large percentage of it. But I have reactivated my tablet 3-4 times in a given day trying to find a ROM I liked after I first rooted it. My current phone gets reactivated at least twice a week when I try a new ROM. When I was messing around with my DX and just learning about root, I must have reflashed that 4-5 times a day.

As for those numbers in the OP. It does not include the array of Android browsers. Opera Mini and the default Android browsers are only ones included. Is Opera Mini available on any other mobile platform? I know it is on Android, but does Symbian have an Opera variant?

Also, how is it collecting this data? Through the user agent is my best guess. Android browsers can hide as an iPad or iPhone, but iPhone/pads don't have an Android option. And all mobile devices can hide themselves as "desktop". So I think the numbers are diluted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones