People losing root?

Last Updated:

1. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have seen this mentioned quite often here in the rooting forums, and was getting curious. A lot of people are stating that they are losing root when updating one of Pete's roms. I have loaded about all of them and haven't noticed I lost anything. I do have to reinstall busybox everytime though.. is this what people are referring to when they say "root"? Or am I missing something that I should probably go back and fix?

Advertisement
  2. mhome

mhome Well-Known Member

it started when he added live wallpapers. Its been corrected. I didn't notice anything either. Open up an emulator and type su. See what you get.

3. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

When I tried Beast 7.8/7.9 I lost root completely, not just busybox. It was the live wallpapers doing it. The new v1.1a patch to the 2.01 live wallpaper patch at AllDroid fixes the problem with SU permissions, so theoretically Pete could put them back into his ROMS.

I never had a problem with the first version on top of SM 2.0.5, though. But when I tried BB and lost root, I decided to take the opportunity to learn to use adb and root the hard way...so its all good. Still running DM 2.0.6(Modded) though.

4. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Root is Superuser access.

If you lose root, you lose the ability to do anything that requires Super User (SU) access.

5. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yea, I know what it is, I was just confused as I never experienced it when upgrading and wondered if people were confusing "root" with having to reinstall busybox for their apps.

6. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

is there a way to reinstall root on 7.9 ? i really like the way this rom is running and i would like to keep it. i am fairly new to the rom thing also. also if i reinstall my 7.4 backup will i regain root?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. Needsdecaf

Why do you say you don't have root?

8. alnova1

Because none of my root apps work. drocap2 wireless tether and something else i download that have to have root access said i didn't. I tried to reinstall busybox with Droidroot pro but it didnt work.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. Needsdecaf

You confused me when you said "I like the way this is running". To me, that means no issues. :)

Are you running the active wallpapers? That's been an issue with Pete's roms...causing people to loose root access.

10. alnova1

What I meant was I like the way the rom runs as far as speed and the live wallpapers and yes thats why I lost root was because of the wallpapers. The issue is my root apps aren't working anymore but everything else is great on the rom.