1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

People may not be getting your MMS txts ...and you don't even know it!!Tips

1. SDmtnbkr

SDmtnbkr Member

So after a few weeks of sending people random picture txts and just thinking that they just weren't responding, I finally figured out that they weren't getting my txts. I would take a pic with my phone, send it, not get any failure notices, but the other person wasn't getting the txt. Not even just a blank txt with no picture, just nothing at all.

So after being on tech support for a little while (VZ tech was very helpful and knowledgeable) I figured out that by changing the Picture Quality from Normal to High it was causing the issue. When the DInc. resizes the picture for a MMS txt (on the 8mp setting), it can't make the file small enough for other phones to receive if it's on the High setting.

This is only true for other phones that don't have a camera as large as the DInc. ...which is no one, haha!! = ) So if you're sending the MMS txt to a fellow DInc. user you're fine, but if it's anyone else they aren't getting the txt and you're not getting a failure notice.

Not sure if anyone cares, but I didn't even realize I was having a problem because some of my friends were getting the pics and responding and other weren't. I changed the camera settings on a trip because I wanted the higher quality pics and didn't even know it was affecting my pic txts.

Hope this helps anyone.

Advertisement
    :
    Gibby999, dragon999, mozes316 and 9 others like this.
  2. Liquoredolce

Liquoredolce Well-Known Member

Awesome, good to know. I actually had some missing too. I'll pretend that it's because of the picture size an not cuz they don't like me ;)
  3. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

appreciate the heads up man
  4. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

FWIW, it's just polite to resize pics when sending them to friends. Shooting people a 2mb picture of your dog is kinda rude.
  5. kanxkeri

kanxkeri New Member

I can confirm on this since I used to had a problem sending a picture text from Handcent and ChompSMS to iPhone users even though I can receive from them. Only way to send a picture text was from stock messanger. But thanks to SDmtnbkr, I was able to send my friend (iPhone user) a picture text by Handcent fine now. Thanks for solving this problem!
  6. 1967ls2

1967ls2 Well-Known Member

Weird. I have always had my phone's resolution set to 8MP and I have used handcent and the stock message app to send to iphone's with no problem. They have also confirmed that they recieve the pictures as well...It normally says before it adds the picture to the MMS that it is resizing the picture to be able to send automatically.
  7. alison03

alison03 Well-Known Member

by switching the settings from high to normal, how does it affect the quality of pictures?
  8. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I have been successful in sending people my pics with high quality (both VZW/Incredible users and AT&T). I also get both confirmation from them that they got it, as well as the delivery report (I enabled them for MMS) saying it was successful
  9. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

I also have had no problem sending pics to other phones and other carriers at all.
  10. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Well-Known Member

I have actually gotten better success rate with LARGER files.

First of all, if you try to send a file that is larger than the max file size you designated (say, 1.2mb for example), then the Messages app resizes the image very aggressively to something like 30kb. These send fine, but they are quite small and the quality is poor.

Ensuring that the pictures you are trying to send are already smaller than 1.2mb avoids this auto-resizing issue. However, the other day I tried to send and resend a 400kb picture 4 times in a row to an iPhone user. It never made it. I tried again with the pic at 750kb, and it sent no problem.

*shrug*
  11. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

All my friends have iPhones and sending them pictures was failing or taking multiple days.

On another android forum I found that the solution to this is to edit the MMS and add text.

I have started doing this and have gone from 0% success sending pictures to my friends, to 100%, so either its lucky timing or it in some weird way works.
  12. SDmtnbkr

SDmtnbkr Member

hmmm that is weird. I had changed a lot of settings on my camera before resetting and being able to finally send pics, so it may have been more than just the High Quality setting causing an issue. I also had the Wide Screen setting enabled.

Not sure if it was just a fluke with my phone, but it was clear as day when I finally changed the High Quality setting. I guess this would just be a heads up if you find out that your pic txts aren't going through to check this and see if it works.
  13. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

This is strange. There has to be more to the issue that the camera setting. I'm still using 8mp setting and the stock messages app with no problem sending to a Verizon BlackBerry 8330 and a Verizon LG env2 user. Not sure about other phones my contacts have. Perhaps it's more a cross-network issue?
  14. woop

Not sure. The only setting I changed in my camera was turning the sharpness down, everything else is default.

I would say for now, enable delivery reports to tell you if the MMS sent was successful or not, until you can figure out what it is thats causing it to fail.
  15. alison03

alison03 Well-Known Member

regarding delivery reports: can anybody break them down? mine always say pending if it's to att and always delivered with verizon. if it fails, it should say fail then? :)
  16. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I took a photo and then sent it via MMS to a T-Mobile user today. It said it was resizing and then was sent. It arrived no problem on the other end.
  17. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Well-Known Member

Does whether or not the phone is connected to wifi have anything to do with it? I tried sending 3 photos to an iphone user today. The two I sent while I was on wifi never made it. The third I sent on 3G did.
  18. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

Is there a way to resize the pictures on the phone after you've already taken them at a high level, before sending them?
  19. woop

They only work for Verizon customers. Its been like that for all my phones. It will show pending for non-Verizon customers even when its successful. But with MMS delivery reports, you can set it to tell you if its not successful, which would help.

There are apps out there that you can crop the pic, not sure about actually resizing the dimensions though.
  20. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Mine did automatically. Came up with a message that said something like files too big, resizing. Probably appeared for less than a second.
  21. ryanro77

ryanro77 Member

i am having the exact oposite problem

i have been unable to veiw pics sent to me from certain people one of wich is on t-mobile network

when i recive a pic mesage it displays a slide show when i tap it to veiw all i get is a black screen with no pic in it i have no clue what to do to fix this issue
  22. moonnite

moonnite New Member

ok here is the 411 on mms on increadible

sending pics from the phone normal is noticed somewhat by the network and the pics will get geared down some if the reslution of the phone it is being sent to is know, normal on verizon to verizon they can pull that and normal works with 1.2 mb or less, also sending to other carriers you will have issues with anything over 1.1 mb ( varies alot with carrier sent too )

if you send pick to att they dont allow pics on their network from other carriers over a size that changes alot and they dont acnowledge much - i'd guess att normal limits 500kb but will do 200kb as their network traffic is high, they change the settings for mms from non-att phones alot based on their network issues and throttle other carriers ALOT !!! but allow larger pics from their own network

lowering resolution on your camera will help keep the size down and raise compatibility and also stop the need for it to be resized to work on another phone, in carrier has least problems

also issues opposite way are explainable, say t-moble or att send my incredible pic and i cant view it its either being crippled on its way out of the orientating network or too large pic for the receiving phone ( unlikely with increadible) or in wierd format <--!, att has used weird pic format and lots of phones were hit and miss on the models that could display them in years past, oh well, i dont mean to harp on att and all their data network limitations and issues but they do more inter-carrier throttling and blocking than any other carrier i've ever heared of, atleast the iphones can pic msg now

break down
    ---
    your mms not recieved = can try lower your camera settings
    also their is setting for limiting outgoing mms sendign size
    message > menu > settings > maximum message size
    chose between 1.2mb / 500kb / 200kb - normal 1.2 is good but if your noticing alot pics not being recieved lower to 500 kb for normal phones, and if your sending alot pics to att customers go to 200kb if you want be sure they get them, dont forget to raise it if you want high quality, also if you send alot pics to iphone you could just make online album and text them the link so att doesn't throw brick wall up and you can leave your messaging set up for for high quality

your not receiving msg or bad format = tell the person sending them to lower the resolution on their camera then take new pic and send that
    (some cameras change pic file formating based on quality level and this can break pic on some models, also att's system to compress pics leaving the network size wise has used uncommon formats in the past, so... )

anyways its late here so i hope i didn't confuse everyone to much or repate myself to many times >:p

hope that helps you all understand mms

Edit: just fyi, inter-carrier limits change ALOT and are not normally broadcast when they change, which just leaves alot of people frustrated wondering why their msg dont work when they are being refused by the msg system limits, its rather a pain in the ass when you think about it.. sigh
    BB2DROID likes this.
  23. izzy35

izzy35 Well-Known Member

Ok so I get the whole "size limitations" but I have an unsolved question. When using the incredible, it resizes it automatically. However, when i send it without a caption, it still doesn't go through, but if I add a caption, it goes through 100% of the time to iphones.

How is that explained?
  24. moonnite

moonnite New Member

Little things have big impact when inter carrier systems are set up to discard anything not in format its looking for, adding text is switching how its sent even thou its minor part of message, check your message settings
    - priority (should be on normal/ urgent is option but it isn't standerized and will cause issues)
    -callback (should be off, the number is already included and anything non stander in its value will cause alot of issues)
    -signatures cause issues inter carrier as well but if you really need it try to keep it only letters and no special letters (
  25. DroidPower

DroidPower Well-Known Member

What is attachment storage, is Messages only sending attachments stored on internal memory and will not send... let say photos stored on the SD-Card.