People Selling The Incredible

1. thecrock0984

thecrock0984 Well-Known Member

I see people on ebay already selling their Incredible on ebay for more than $300. Can they do that. Get a new phone w/ NE2 or something, and then sell it on ebay for more? Just wondering.

Advertisement
  2. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

No they disable your phone so it cannot be used with Verizon again.
  3. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much, all you have to do is switch your ESN to another phone. You'll still have the 2yr contract and have to pay early termination fees if you decide to cancel service though. I've seen it done before.
  4. thecrock0984

They disable it?? Im just curious. But I have used a phone in the past, switched back to a phone and sold it on ebay with no problems. Just curious.
  5. heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn Well-Known Member

They may not have liked it, or they had a smart phone, bought this one with a NE2, switched back to old phone.
  6. thecrock0984

Ok. I thought you could do that. I was just browsing Ebay to see what was going on with the Incredible and thought Id double check.
  7. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

As long as the phone hasn't been tagged lost/stolen in VZW's system, there is nothing to prevent you from buying a phone from someone and doing an ESN change.

The only thing that might mess things up is this: when you buy from Verizon, they put a pending ESN change into the system for the number the phone was purchased from. This makes it tricky to activate the phone for another line until after the phone is activated for the one it was purchased for (as you may have noticed, you also have to accept TOS when you activate the phone for the first time).

In my case, I bought the Incredible using my wife's discount. I had to activate the phone for her line before VZW could swap the ESN's.

EDIT: Is there any chance the folks who just want to snipe at each other can do it somewhere else? This isn't a thread that should have lead to name-calling...
  8. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

Agreed!

Cut it out guys!
  9. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

All you'd have to do is activate it, put it back in the box. Reactivate your old phone and you can sell your new phone. Of course you'd only want to do this if you were happy with your previous phone and don't mind sticking with it for 2 more years as you have to agree to a 2 year contract extension to activate the phone in the first place. I don't know why anyone would do this, but hey thats not my problem.
  10. benjamin7062

benjamin7062 Well-Known Member

This is inaccurate.
  11. thecrock0984

So all those people on EBAY selling the Incredible used after a week or so of usage, can do that. Because it was activated for them, as long as they activate another phone before selling their incredible??
  12. heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn Well-Known Member

Be careful, you aren't allowed to say that, I said that in an earlier post and it was removed.
  13. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

No you don't have to activate another phone, just the phone you intend to sell. You don't even have to put another phone on that line, but you will be paying the bill for the next 2 years regardless so you might as well get some use out of it.
  14. benjamin7062

benjamin7062 Well-Known Member

When you purchase something you own it. You can do whatever you want. There may be financial consequences.

The question is whether one of those phones can be activated on a different account. That question is unique to each phone and depends on whether the ESN is clear (free from contract) at Verizon.

The only one who can answer the ESN question is Verizon and it is specific to each phone.
  15. bogatyr

bogatyr Member

As long as it was activated at some point on the line it was originally purchased for (assuming they got a discount and didn't buy it outright), yes.

I bought my Droid Eris with my discount 2 months ago. I'm now selling it on Ebay after buying a Droid Incredible, to make up for part of the cost.
  16. thecrock0984

Intresting. I was just curious how it all works. Thanks.
  17. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Yes they can sell any used phone no problem... as long as it wasn't reported stolen or lost. It can be reactivated by the next person.
  18. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

I've given several old phones to friends on different accounts, and they have never had any problems switching the ESN to their number.
  19. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

i have sold all my previous phones with no problems.

They only disable your phone if you report it stolen.