People who don't use a case:Accessories

Last Updated:

1. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i currently use a silicone case for my desire, i really hate using it, so i am thinking of ditching it, but i am wondering how the phone fares with general use

so for users who dont use a case, does the rear of the phone get damaged when putting it down on surfaces?

does any part (except the screen) get scratched easily when its in your pocket that has some dirt in it (like grit)

do you still throw your phone around? like with my case i just sort of drop it on my desk.

so i guess i am asking
    how durable is the desire against scratches when you have no case?

Advertisement
  2. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

I've not had mine in any kind of case for the 2 and a bit months I've had it, and there's not a mark on mine....touch wood.

3. thelostmango

thelostmango New Member

I have got mine in a case, but only because i normally have my keys in the same pocket as my phone when I'm out (usually wallet takes up the other pocket) and previous phones have got scratched to pieces. Saying that, I went 3 weeks without a case with the Desire, and it was fine by the time I found a suitable case. The screen seems to cope really well at reducing scratches.

I did put it in a jacket that had some sand in the pocket from the beach, and a few sand particles got in between the tiny gap surrounding the screen. It was careless on my behalf and was easily removed by compressed air. However, the screen protector I got for my phone covers this gap, and that problem is removed.

4. Dudditz

Dudditz Well-Known Member

I have mine in a silicone case that covers the back/sides. Got it purely because I have a nasty habit of dropping phones.

Dropped my Desire on the 2nd day, tiny scratch on the screen. Don't really notice it unless you are looking for it though.

5. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

I have a flip case. It's useful but I love taking my phone out and using it without the case when I'm at home. It feels so much sleeker and better by itself.

6. samdale36

samdale36 Well-Known Member

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you thought about the Official HTC Desire pouch/slip case. I too liked using my phone without a case, but didnt want it getting damaged in my pocket. I find it the best of both worlds.

7. dajomel

dajomel Well-Known Member

I don't use a case and phone gets handled with sensible care but has had the occassional drop but doesn't chow any signs of damage, scratching, marks etc. I do always ensure it's kept in a pocket with nothing else in :)

8. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

This.

Well, little mark on the top right hand corner of the phone but you can hardly see it.

9. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

I tend to use cases for about 6 months, and then go naked. It's nice to keep it in good condition for a while, but once you are over the honeymoon phase its nice just to enjoy it.

10. markeas

markeas Active Member

generally day to day use is fine, and cleans up nicely.

ibve dropped mine a few times and the screen is fine but the bezel around the edge has not faired so well imo, it will need replacing as soon as new parts are avaiabile

11. nijbuck

nijbuck Member

just to add my twopennerth (is that how you spell it?) I don't have to "touch wood"! I have mine in a nice cheap blue silicon case (about 3 quid off ebay) and a screen protector (1.99 off ebay). Doesn't have any adverse effect on the touchscreen capability. and the case doesn't add any bulk to the phone. But I now don't have to worry too much about the phone! Simples!

12. !Afrokid!

!Afrokid! Member

I was unlucky to get a nasty scratch on the screen mysteriously within a week of purchasing the desire.

From that day, I purchased a silicone case and martin fields screen protector from mobilefun. Not too bulky but adds that extra protection so no need to worry.

13. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

I'm using an hd 2 slip case pouch thing that keeps it sweet in pocketand allows the tossing it on desk part the only draw back is missing the odd call/text if I forget to turn the volume up high.

14. TechGrin

TechGrin Well-Known Member

I have mine in a Flexishield silicone case, and have had a screen protector on it from day 1!

I agree with people that the phone feels much nicer to hold/use without the case, but I have a habit of dropping phones and even though the handset is insured, Id rather not have to claim!

Plus I have a very inquisitive 1 year old son who will grab (and often chew) anything in reach!

So until a phone is drop/child proof then its a case for me!

15. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

I dropped my phone about a week after I got it (was drunk and wanted to take a picture... the battery and back went flying). I've not really dropped it sense, though it has fallen off the desk or couch. I don't see any problems or issues arising yet. However, when I opened the back, I did notice that the camera's glass was broken (not the plastic protective covering on the back cover). It broke diagonally, but not across the opening, so presumably, no issues as far as I can tell.

One thing I didn't like was the cheap plastic cover for the lens, though. It got scratched being in my pocket, which results in hazy pictures. I'm going to go check a watchmaker and see if I can get some polish for it. It's driving me nuts.

Tim

16. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Had mine for almost three months now and I honestly can't see a scratch on it (including the screen) ... I have short nails and am very gentle with my phone. I "place" it on my desk not throw it :p

17. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Well-Known Member

I've had mine 6 weeks and it's fine with no case. Don't put it in the same pocket as keys or money.

Sand is a bit of an issue, so watch out for those beach trips! It just seems to get everywhere, and stay there for days.... ;-)

18. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I have no marks at all, but I don't drop it on my desk, i place it.

19. matthew1471

matthew1471 Member

I just the soft case that I got with my HTC Touch HD.

It works fine in my pocket / bag and I haven't got any scratches on the screen.

20. mattrey

mattrey Active Member

not a scratch on mine mate i dont feel a case is needed.

21. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

Naked.

2.5 months old, no scratches, marks or dents. Never dropped it and it sleeps alone in my pockets.

22. Medodroid

Medodroid Member

Not even a scratch, dont have a case and dont have a screen protector ;)
    allmost 3 months old.

23. PygmyArr

PygmyArr Member

3months old, no extra protection or care here, phone stays in same pocket as coins when travelling home from work (4 miles bicycle ride) generally only gets lobbed about when its on charge, even then it's straight onto a carpeted floor.
    also surviving considerable games use by a toddler atm without showing any signs of damage.

no scratches or scuffs here.

24. Swana2k

Swana2k Guest

I only made this mistake once within first week of having it - slight faint scratch but have to hold phone up at daft angle to see it :eek:

25. Baz8755

Baz8755 Well-Known Member

I use 3 cases and a screen protector........

I have a bright blue silcon protector that I use around the house, I love the grippy feel and it protects from minor bumps without inhibiting use.

I use an official HTC pouch when out and about or at work. I used to use the silicon pouch until one hot summers day whilst in my car I took my phone out out my pocket to find the screen covered in moisture, at that point I decided the pouch would be a better bet.

I also have a Proporta BeachBouy which I use when out Geocaching or when I am cycling in the rain.

Baz