People Widget

Last Updated:

1. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So when setting up the people widget, is there a way to set up a shortcut that automatically calls someone, and another shortcut that automatically texts the same person?

Say, for example, I set up 2 different people widgets, on 2 different screens. On one screen, I have the people widget full of people and it's set to automatically call them on their mobile phone. On the next screen, I have a people widget with all the same contacts, but it's set to send a text message instead of call.

Is this possible? I can't figure out how to change the default action on 1 of them in the widget without changing it for that contact in all of the widgets.

It would sure be nice if I could have a screen full of contacts that have the default action as a text message, and another screen with the same contacts with the default action being to call them.

I set up 2 different groups- 1 called VIP, and the other called VIP text, but changing the default action of a contact in one of them changes it in the other too.

Advertisement
  2. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

You can do it with individual icons. Long Press an empty space on a home screen and select "Shortcut." To call someone, select "Direct Dial" and then choose the person and number you wish to call. This will place an icon on the home screen that calls that number when pressed. To message someone, select "Direct Message" and ...

You can make folders to put these in. I have a folder for Calls and one for Texts.

You can also use a Starred Folder to get access to your starred contacts, but this takes more clicks.

3. BlackDynamite

The reason I was trying to use the Widget is becaue you can add a whole group at the same time. So I can set up a group for calling, and another group for texting. Then I could add all my favorite contacts quickly and easily. Much faster than adding them 1 at a time...

4. Munnarg

Munnarg Well-Known Member

You can set the default action for each contact in the People widget. I have some set to text and some to call.

5. dakidobf

dakidobf Well-Known Member

If you tap the persons name instead of their picture, then you can select what action, other than the default, to execute. I don't think that would take much more time than flipping to another screen.

6. BlackDynamite

So here is what I am trying to do in a nutshell...
    1: Add a people widget to a screen.
    2: Add another people widget to another screen.
    3: Add a group to widget #1 that includes my wife, kids, boss, and several other contacts. The default action should be to call the mobile number on all of these.
    4: Add a group to widget #2 that includes most of the same contacts as widget #1 but the default action on all of these will be set to send a text message.

So far, I can't find a way to change the default action of a contact in widget #1 without it changing the default action of that same contact in widget #2.

7. chrismmm

chrismmm Well-Known Member

there is a good paid appl out there called arti's contacts. i have been using that to do exactly what u r asking for. its on market

BlackDynamite likes this.