People with VZW silicone cases..Accessories

Last Updated:

1. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Do you notice that your phone within the case gets hot? I ask this because at times during use my back plate can get really warm and was wondering how much heat is dissipated vs contained with the silicone case on, as I will be purchasing one soon.

Advertisement
  2. attesan997

attesan997 Member

I was thinking that the other day, I was playing robot defense and it noticed the back was warmer than normal. I also have a sedio extended battery and I think I was on a heavy flash page. I'm sure none of that helped.

3. lmbgm

lmbgm Well-Known Member

I noticed this too. I guess its better to spend $40 to replace a battery than $500 to replace a dropped phone. Assuming the case will actually protect it.

4. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member

When I have having (bigger) battery issues I found that the back was indeed getting hot. It appears that when you run something on the DI that really cranks the CPU it gets warm.

5. woop

Yeah, I was doing normal web browsing and the entire back side of my phone was very hot.

6. Feels Good Man

Feels Good Man Well-Known Member

I havent noticed a problem yet

7. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any problem.

8. SystemsLock

SystemsLock Active Member

It does "warm" a little bit.

9. woop

Are you talking about the phone or the case? My question is how well does the case dissipate heat coming off the phone. I don't want the phone to be wrapped and turn into an oven within the case.

10. ken20banks

ken20banks Member

I got the silicone case, and was using it for a few days. There were a few things I ended up not liking about the case, and heat was one of them.

The phone itself does get hotter when in use with the silicone case. The case took on some of the heat, but generally did not seem to dissipate the heat. The phone itself was pretty warm when I took it out of the case right after playing robo defense for 10 to 15 minutes. Warmer than it was when playing the game out of the case.

11. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

I have felt my silicon case get a bit warm when running it hard. But I'm not concerned.

12. woop

Yeah, I was playing Jewels and the phone got extremely hot, which made me worry about putting that heat within a case.

13. nickacs

nickacs Well-Known Member

Nope, mine runs cold as ice all the time.. never even warm?? I have the VZW black silicone jelly case on since day 1...

14. jasonb1985

we do have a warranty, and hopefully the assurion insurance. why worry so much?

this is the exact reason i gave up on the droid. i had it rooted and overclocked and i didn't feel safe with the temps, but there was no way i was going back to stock.

unless it's obviously getting very hot i wouldn't worry.

15. woop

I do not have insurance, and I'm pretty sure warranty will not cover me overheating the device due to me putting on a case (I haven't read the specifics of the warranty but it would be odd if it did). Maybe you're confusing what I'm worried about. I'm not too concerned with the temp of the phone itself. I AM, however, worried about if I were to enclose it and it not being able to dissipate.

16. jasonb1985

its a verizon case. if something happens because of the case then verizon is to blame. you're worrying to much.

17. woop

The warranty is through HTC though?:confused:

18. jasonb1985

if my phone dies 6 months from now(just an example) i'll be calling verizon or taking it to a verizon store. i won't be calling HTC.

19. egg_head

egg_head Well-Known Member

I would recommend this to anyone using the silicone cases that think their phone is running hotter than normal..

Download OS Monitor and look under the Misc. tab.
    OS Monitor will show you the temperature of your phone.

Do some testing with and without your silicone case.
    Case on? Feels hot? Write down the temp.
    Case off? Feels cooler? Write the temp down.
    Wash. Rise. Repeat.

This way you'll have some empirical data to go by instead of thinking it feels hot.

20. jasonb1985

good idea.

21. zamugustar

zamugustar Well-Known Member

I use tempmonitor lite, free app on the marketplace and I am using the black silicone gel case and my temperatures are usually 2 degrees hotter under a full load and no different at idle.

I doubt 2 degrees will be the breaking point that kills the battery until we have root and do silly things like OC the already ample processor. My droid OCd to 1ghz ran a little hotter then my DINC does now, it would run full load about 39-41c where the DINC is 37-39c in the case and the droid had no case and a metal aluminum back that had to help with heat dissipation.

22. destardi

destardi Banned

I have the black high-gloss silicon cover, and my phone does not get hot or noticeably warm. (It will *if* it's plugged in charging, and I surf the net.)