Perfect Camera Settings?Support

Last Updated:

1. cunning plan

cunning plan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What are the best general settings to use on the camera?

I always use manual focus where you have to touch the screen to focus where you want the lense to focus on, everything else is stock I think:

Issue: White / slightly over-exposed effect on pictures - kind of hazey.

Current Settings

Brightness - 0

Contrast - 0
    Saturation - 0
    Sharpness - 0

Effect - None

White Balance - Auto
    ISO - Auto

Resolution - 5M
    Widescreen - YES
    Quality - High
    Self timer - Off
    Geo-Tag - Off
    Metering Mode - Average
    Review - 5 seconds
    Flicker Adjustment - Auto
    Auto Focus - Off
    Face Detection - Off
    Shutter Sound - On
    Time Stamp - Off
    Grid - Off

Be interested to see your settings if you think you have it perfect or at-least as good as you can get with the camera :rolleyes: :confused:

Advertisement
  2. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

As the screen on the Desire is so good and punchy, what looks like a good shot is very flat and lacking in colour/contrast if you transfer it to the computer or view it online (picassa, photobucket etc)

I up the saturation and contrast to +1 and alter the WB to suit the situation

3. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Brightness - 0

Contrast - 0

Saturation - 0

Sharpness - 0

Effect - None

White Balance - I change this depending on the conditions.

ISO - Auto

Resolution - 5M

Widescreen - YES
    Quality - High

Self timer - Off

Geo-Tag - On

Metering Mode - Average

Review - 5 seconds

Flicker Adjustment - Auto

Auto Focus - On

Face Detection - Off

Shutter Sound - Off

Time Stamp - Off

Grid - On

4. el gringo

el gringo Member

It might be the metering thats causing the slight over exposure. By hazy, do you mean the sky is overexposed? As this would tend to happen with average metering when its trying to keep the foreground/middleground brighter.

5. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

Vignette. That's the best way - you can actively change the settings to suit the image style you want. It is a beautiful camera replacement.

Tim

6. cunning plan

Excellent point, I will give this a go.

Cheers!

Kind of.. Like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see it's very light in some bits and just 'hazey'.. Think I will change the metering to 'spot' - not sure what this means though

Sorry bud, this isn't what I am looking for - that is just a camera effects app and I need camera improvement! :p

7. cunning plan

Metering mode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arr interetsting.. :cool:

8. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

I'm happy to take photos with my Desire and play around with them once they're on my PC. I have vignette which I love, but I use it for taking creative photos, not tweaking existing ones. If I'm taking a "straight" photo I use the Desire camera.

I am very happy with the results I get, it's a phone after all, but it takes perfectly adequate shots, if you want to take a top quality picture then get a digital camera!

9. cunning plan

That's an odd attitude to have.

That's like saying, don't use the Desire to look at webpages - that's what a computer is for. Or don't use the Desire to listen to music - that's what an iPod is for.

The point is, technology is progressing to the point where you don't need several devices to do lots of different things, one device that does a lot of tasks. Perhaps right now we haven't got a Android with SLR-type capabalities, but it is certian we soon will have - why wouldn't we? I'm sure when the Nokia 3210 was knocking about people were wondering if you could play more than 'Snake' on it and I am sure people like you came along and said 'why bother if you want to play games get a Game Boy'. But now look at what you can play with your phone.

BTW - I hope you aren't using your phone as a sat nav?!!

Point of the post was to get the best out of the camera by sharing settings and thoughts - I didn't ask (or care) what your opinion of the camera in general was. So thanks for a pointless post.

10. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member

This is an interesting thread for me because I run several photography-related website magazines. That's my day job :)

The problem with the Desire and most other camera phones is that thet imaging sensor is really tiny. This means its sensitivity is much lower than conventional digital cameras. This means the dynamic range is poor and results in burned out highlights (bright areas) and the shadows can often be very dark with little detail. Another issue is high noise (grain and colour blotchiness) in conditions where the light is not particularly bright.

A few weeks ago I posted some images taken with my Desire on the forum at one of my sites. There is a fair amount of adsjustability in the image quality:

HTC Desire smartphone camera still photo quality? - DPNow.com Discussion Forum

Maybe I will do some evaluation of the camera settings and come up with some recommendations...

Ian

11. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member

Lighten up!

He talks sense, and your hypersensitivity to responses like this is hardly helpful.

The fact is that a camera phone will always have limitations compared to a conventional digital camera. There is a limit as to how much better a camera phone can improve and any improvements in a camera phone will be matched by even bigger improvements in a digital camera.

Camera phones, and the Desire is no exception, compared to a conventional digital camera, lose out in dynamic range, noise, resolution, lack of optical zoom, manual override options, image format options (possibility of RAW files), continuous shooting flexibility, and responsiveness (shutter lag).

These things really do differentiate a camera phone froma conventional camera, but they don't mean a camera phone is useless. Just that there is little point in having mega high expectations. And of course a camerphone has its own advantages; you're more likely to have one to hand, it's well integrated with the GPS and comms for direct uploading,and for other applicationslike bar codes, etc.

Horses for courses.

Ian

12. cunning plan

Awesome, cheers Ian - helpful.

The point of this thread is to share settings and experience of getting the best of the Desire camera - 'partridge' coming in with 'his' opinion of the camera and saying don't use it, just buy a 'proper' camera - is 'hardly helpful' don't you think?

I know I can go buy a

13. droid83

droid83 Member

I actually tried this and the difference is quite noticeable...see below:-

Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation = zero
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation = One
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The difference is huge!!!

14. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

That's pretty amazing!!

15. turbohobbit

turbohobbit Well-Known Member

Sorry, my work 'puter won't allow me to see the images. I presume the +1 image is better?

16. droid83

droid83 Member

@ turbohobbit

Yes its much much better....The washed out effect goes away by keeping contrast and sharpness at +1...The saturation adds more color i think...

wierd...i have had the desire for abt 3 mos now and never tried this before!@$

17. turbohobbit

Ah. I presume this is for the stock / Sense camera, not the AOSP one (the one that comes with Defrost)?

18. droid83

droid83 Member

@ turbohobbit

I dont understand AOSP?? My Desire manufacturing date is May as the serial no says HT05..

19. turbohobbit

Sorry, Android Open Source Project. Basically, are you using the original Sense ROM on your HTC or have you rooted it and flashed a custom ROM?

20. droid83

droid83 Member

Yes i am...not rooted yet..Does a custom ROM effect the camera quality somehow?

21. turbohobbit

Kinda... Some custom ROMs such as Defrost use a camera app that is "stock" (AOSP) rather than designed for HTC/Sense. As this is essentially a different programme the settings don't apply (for example My contrast and saturation run from 0-10 and sharpness runs from 0-30).

22. TheOnlyRick

TheOnlyRick Well-Known Member

If you have hazy pix off your camera, check your lens (or the back of your camera case) is clean and not cracked.

On my phone, the little bit of plastic that covers the lens has a slight crack in it, and when the light catches it from the 'right' angle, I get haze in pictures.