• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Perfect way to get updates on rooted Lenovo A7000 phone

archz2

May 29, 2012
What is the perfect way to get a Lenovo a7000 firmware updates on a rooted phone? I recently unrooted my Lenovo a7000 which had a maxritz cwm recovery installed. I installed stock recovery on it. Then while installing update my phone rebooted and I got the following error.

TzzmdB9.jpg

I messed up my phone big time when I fetched the update using OTA snatcher and tried to force install it using TWRP and bricked my device. However things are normal now after I wiped off my phone and installed stock ROM. I am getting update alerts now and want a fool proof way to install OTA updates. Please advise. I have xposed installed too with gravity box and youtube adaway modules.

OTA plus rooted phone is a bad idea full stop. The more you modify the ROM (e.g. xposed) the more likely an OTA will cause problems. Either use custom ROMs to update, revert to stock to accept updates, or you can take your chances, but the a safe, reliable way of applying OTAs to modified ROMs that you seek doesn't exist.

Upvote 0
Problem with a Lenovo, it will let you OTA update a rooted modified device, resulting in the inevitable "install failed" message. Many devices won't do that, like Samsung, they'll tell you it's modified and just won't even attempt to update. And usually you can't apply manufacturer OTA updates with TWRP either.

Upvote 0
OTA plus rooted phone is a bad idea full stop. The more you modify the ROM (e.g. xposed) the more likely an OTA will cause problems. Either use custom ROMs to update, revert to stock to accept updates, or you can take your chances, but the a safe, reliable way of applying OTAs to modified ROMs that you seek doesn't exist.

If I uninstall xposed, do an unroot, install a lenovo a7000 stock recovery,then? What do you say?

Earlier when I failed I remember, I did not uninstall xposed from my device which might have caused trouble.

Upvote 0
It may work, as long as the firmware is in an exact unmodified state. Incremental OTA updates do expect the firmware to be as the manufacturer intended it, to guarantee success, i.e. in a known state, no files changed, modified, missing etc, otherwise there can be problems, like boot-looped or completely bricked. If it's not, you might have to flash a complete ROM clean,

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones