Performance / power question...

Last Updated:

1. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

looking for some educated feedback on this, is the droid really better in terms of power than the eris? i returned the eris because i thought it was too slow and didn't stack up to what the droid is, but was i wrong?

i look at the verizonwireless website and they have the same stats, except for the keyboard of course. but then i hear some htc users say that the eris is just as powerful as the droid and can do everything that the droid can in terms of performance. on the other hand i get people telling me that the droid is the 'powerhouse' and ive read that the droid is the 'high-end' phone. people have told me about better cpu/processor/memory - is this true and is it noticable? and will it effect the phones longevity compared to the eris for the future? i heard that it will as more updates comes out... someone told me that the eris will never be up to par with the droid hardware wise and that the droid is the safe bet if you want the most from future updates ... also read that the eris will be 'long in the tooth' (old) faster. :confused:

anyone know about this stuff and can fill me in? thank you!
    jen

Advertisement
  2. Thoraldus

Thoraldus Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a Motorola page with the full specs of the Droid ... not sure if there is a similar one for the Eris.

MOTODEV > Products > DROID by Motorola

Edit: best specs I could find for the Eris ...

http://www.htc.com/us/products/droid-eris-verizon/#tech-specs

3. kraze0g

anyone have any opinions on this? im not good as just reading specs on phones, lots of it doesn't really mean much to me. can someone explain to me? thnx

4. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

I've tried both phones, the Motorola seems faster but I have no real facts to back it up. Just seemed to lag less between apps and moving from feature to feature.

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the processor in the Droid is faster. It's a newer architecture and has a built in graphic processor which means it generally renders things more quickly. I've used the Eris a bit, and while the home screen scrolling is generally nice and smooth, the overall experience is definitely faster on the Droid.

6. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

The Droid has a faster and more efficient processor than the Eris. If you had both phones running the exact same version of Android (and the Eris without Sense), the Droid will always be faster than the Eris.

I had the Eris for a month and returned it because I became increasingly frustrated with the overall sluggishness of the phone. The phone dialer app itself was maddeningly slow for me.

I do believe the Eris will have some speed improvements when it gets updated to 2.01 or 2.1 or whatever due to efficiency improvements in the Android OS, but it will never be as fast as the Droid at the same OS level.

I find the Droid to be an extremely fast and fun phone to use with one exception: the web browser. Many people have been complaining that the Droid web browsing experience got slower with the 2.01 update. Mine certainly did. I'm hoping this will be reversed with the upcoming 2.1 update.

7. kraze0g

thank you. i also heard that the droid will handle 2.1 and future updates much better than the eris.