• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Perhaps all my previous phones sucked...

I don't get it. So many Captivate haters.

GPS problems? Not here. Not perfect, but I haven't driven to Florida when I was supposed to go to California.

Call quality? Actually, it's been the best phone for call quality I've had, and I can actually hear the ringer if the phone is in my coat pocket while I'm driving.

Email problems? I get my email. No problem.

Battery life problems? I charge my phone every night, yes, but I expect that from a phone I use as much as I do.

Lag and lockups? Well, I have experienced a little lag. A quick power cycle takes care of that. No worries.

Ok, anyone else wanna knock down a few of the complaints with me?

I wouldn't characterize myself as a power user, but I certainly make good use of my Cappy. Last night for the first time, I ran the battery so low that the phone turned itself off (damn you, Angry Birds!). I usually have my phone off the charger for 16-18 hours a day. So my battery usage has been good.

As for GPS, I get a good signal. I keep the Cappy by my windshield (my car's dash is such that I can put it up there and it stays in a decent viewing angle when in landscape mode -- yay me!) and it does fine.

Hmm, is this becoming a Cappy Love thread? Heh.

Personally I think it's nice to hear some positive feedback once in a while. And I'm a cynical &%Y#^&78.

Upvote 0
I didn't realize how nice multitasking was on a phone until I got my captivate. I love how the multitask bar pops up in the center of the screen rather than the bottom like on the iPhone. I stopped having lag issues once I restarted my phone every other day. I've had my cap since august 5th and I've had one shutdown where I had to pop the battery out. Was kind of worried at the time but it hasn't happened for 3 months now. Anyway, my last phone was an iphone 3gs, which most definitely does not suck and I still think the cap is a better phone. I know it's a year older then the cap so it SHOULD be a worse phone but still. The iphone 4 is the same phone anyway, the only dif is a speed boost, camera changes, and imo a worse looking exterior. As soon as I touched an iPhone 4 I said to myself omg this is the exact phone I had 3 years ago...just flat on the bottom and snappier.

Upvote 0
I didn't realize how nice multitasking was on a phone until I got my captivate. I love how the multitask bar pops up in the center of the screen rather than the bottom like on the iPhone. I stopped having lag issues once I restarted my phone every other day. I've had my cap since august 5th and I've had one shutdown where I had to pop the battery out. Was kind of worried at the time but it hasn't happened for 3 months now. Anyway, my last phone was an iphone 3gs, which most definitely does not suck and I still think the cap is a better phone. I know it's a year older then the cap so it SHOULD be a worse phone but still. The iphone 4 is the same phone anyway, the only dif is a speed boost, camera changes, and imo a worse looking exterior. As soon as I touched an iPhone 4 I said to myself omg this is the exact phone I had 3 years ago...just flat on the bottom and snappier.

I agree..multitasking on an android like the Captivate is awesome. I didn't know what I was missing when using my Nokia N series. One thing tho would be nice is if the long press on the home key would bring up more than the last 6 apps

Upvote 0
I don't get it. So many Captivate haters.

Ok, anyone else wanna knock down a few of the complaints with me?

I'm with you. My Captivate is fantastic, fast & fun!

You can see I have a lot of Android phones too, I'm such a smartphone addict, I've got activated lines with AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and well uh, Sprint for my EVO. How sick is that... :)

My Fav is the Captivate.

There are so many reasons why, the list is huge. Here's the top three.

1) Brilliant Display, 4.0" size is the sweet spot

2) Slim flat form factor beats the rest.

3) Fast, excellent battery life.

Upvote 0
I've had my phone back from Samsung for a couple weeks now and I guess they did flash the rom because I haven't had a single problem since getting it back. I used to argue with it all the time. It'd freeze/lock up, or do other ridiculous things and be completely unresponsive. So far so good. It reacts quickly to input and t's as fast as can be. I'm really surprised actually.

Upvote 0
I came from and iPhone 3G, not 3GS... and this was a major improvement to say the least. However... the one thing that would NEVER happen to me before are dropped calls. Now I didn't have the best reception where I live with the iPhone either, but if I went outside I could still use the phone w/no issues. Using the Cap, I can be outside in the most open area and bam! - dropped call. This litterally happens to me twice a day. Though I am still SO HAPPY to not have an iPhone any more, freak'n iTunes.

Upvote 0
I came from modding WM devices for many years and this is my first Android device.
My first phone had random shut downs but I returned it within the 30 days and haven't had but one on my new phone.
I have never had GPS issues, or any other issues I've read about.
My only issue is; I was a well known, experienced, and knowledgable user of WM on XDA, and now I'm a #@&*%&#@ noob again!!!!! :eek:
I also find the external speaker a little weak.
But other than that, I love the phone and the Android OS. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones