Period/Spacebar button issueSupport

Last Updated:

1. Renegade21

Renegade21 Member This Topic's Starter

I always include unecessary periods in my texts and emails because the spacebar is so small and the period button is right there.

Is there a way I can change the keyboard to cut down on that or an App to change the keyboard so that is less of an issue?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

You could try a different keyboard from the market. I used to do the same thing, but after a couple weeks got used to the keyboard and its a non issue now.

3. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member

Me. too. I have all. these periods in my.texts and people. get confused.

4. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I don't know if the native text app does it, but in handcent, if you double tap the spacebar, it automatically inserts a period to begin a new sentence.

5. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, I sometimes don't move my thumb to the left enough, and hit the period button.
    So.my.texts.usually.end.up.looking.like.this because I don't even notice until I'm done typing it out, and I say to hell with it lol.
    But I'm more used to the keyboard now so I hit the spacebar every time.

6. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

pretty sure it does that in the stock SMS system too, cuz i've done it by accident a good amount of times.

7. alexhendershott

alexhendershott Well-Known Member

Ugh, couldn't agree more. So frustrating.

It'd be nice if someone wrote a simple app to disable the key all together. I use the space bar to enter periods anyway.

8. JCUMV

JCUMV Well-Known Member

I'm having this issue too and found this post in the Search engine. Thought I'd bump it and see if anybody knows of any apps that have a different keyboard layout. I see a lot of people use Better Keyboard, but the screenshots show the same layout so that doesn't really solve this problem.

Anybody?

Thanks!

9. swe3t23

swe3t23 Well-Known Member

yup i have the same problem on the native messaging and handcent. pretty annoying

10. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

Our best bet on this issue is either suck it up and keep it in the back of our heads that the Period is too close to the space bar and move our thumbs just a little more to the left... or...

Find your favorite Keyboard application and email the developer to add a feature to move the keys around to correct this issue. Especially if you got big-ass thumbs like me!

I have the problem, but I'll suck it up cause I am not buying an app for a keyboard when the stock one is just fine. ^_^

11. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

I agree the period thing is very frustrating. I heard that there are some keyboard improvements in the upcoming 2.0/2.1 upgrade. Can anyone confirm what those keyboard tweaks might be?

12. JCUMV

JCUMV Well-Known Member

Matlock - I'm just glad you posted so I could see your avatar! :D

13. jeffyo

jeffyo Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah, that's awesome.

I have that issue too, but notice it more when the keyboard lags out. My thumb is touching the space bar and the period button at the same time or sequentially.

14. dj928

dj928 Member

Is there a way to simply disable the spacebar selection of words that are recommended and make the spacebar only put spaces in? Thanks.

15. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Man, would I love that. I haven't found anything in the stock keyboard. Maybe an alternate keyboard app has that level of control?

16. dj928

dj928 Member

Actually I just found it for the onscreen keyboard. Go to settings/language & keyboard/onscreen keyboard settings/auto-complete (uncheck the box). What a relief!

17. akohlmeier

akohlmeier New Member

I know it doesn't help find an answer to just reiterate complaints, but man do I need to complain!! I in fact never have posted on any forum ever before this, but avidly searched out one discussing this issue. I can't just "suck it up." I have had the Mesmorize since November and only get worse and worse with this keyboard. Texts.lately.literally.have.a.period.between.every.word.!. and then the phone converts some combo's to links based on what it thinks are web addresses. This is so irritating. I have longer than average fingers too, and am not normally inept with technology. Case in point, I beat all my tween nieces (who are on their phones constantly) in text races! So, please if anyone hears this that has an impact on future models, apps, or whatever... DO.SOMETHING.PLEASE!!