Perparing to do my "1ST" ROOTING (Need Some HELP)

Last Updated:

1. darthlinux

darthlinux Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All

I am interested in rooting my phone can anyone tell me a good source for instructions step by step, and what if I really mess my phone can it be fixed, I am alittle worried about doing this as I don't want to brick my phone, can afford another one.

Advertisement
  2. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member

Hello Guru's,

I have a "FEW" questions in regards to Rooting my X10 (AT&T) and hope ALL of the Guru's can lend a helping hand. The Primary reason I want to Root is to Delete ALL of the AT&T Bloat ware. So here we GOOOOO:

1. The "ONLY" way to remove the Bloat ware, is to ROOT my phone, is this correct?

2. If the answer to #1 is YES, can I unroot after deleting all of the Bloat ware?

3. If the answer to #2 is YES, would it be better to remain unrooted or should I re-root?

4. What are the advantages of:
    A. Rooting (As in keeping and maintaining)?
    B. Unrooted (As in keeping and maintaining)?

5. What is the easiest procedure to ROOT the X10?

6. What is the easiest procedure to UNROOT the X10?

A while back I recall reading somewhere in this forum that there is a one step procedure to rooting and unrooting the X10. I realize that things are in a constant flux regarding rooting, so I figured this would be the approriate time to ask that question. Since this will be a FIRST rooting and and ALL help will be very much appreciated, just explain things in detail, so I will not have to reask all of the questions (The KISS Philosophy)!

I thank you all in advance as I look forward to your replies!

Gunny :)

3. skewed

skewed New Member

1. Yes. rooting is the only way to get rid of the crap the carriers put on there.
    2. You can unroot your phone, if you can find a procedure on the interwebs. Personally, I know there ways to unroot the eris. I haven't read on them enough to know, but I would assume you'd have to flash a rom to unroot, so you'd be SOL bc you'd be overwriting your rooted image back with the bloatware (IF that's wrong let me know, bc i'm not 100% sure)
    3. IF you can root, remove bloatware, then unroot.... that'd be cool (but like above, i don't think you can do it)
    4. A)you can install a custom rom of Android. you can have the pure-experience of android w/o the carrier's-bloatware stealing your precious memory. rooting my eris let me install a few extra apps, and let me overclock it, but the real fun was flashing KaosFroyo.
    B)keeping your phone stock keeps its warranty valid. i really enjoyed my phone before i installed kaosfroyo. i'm sure there are other advantages.
    5. & 6. to be honest idk.. i apologize.

sorry if that didn't help that much, i'm still wet behind the ears on all this. i just saw this question was unanswered and wanted to help as much as i could. best of luck sir

gunny5821 likes this.
  4. charlyee

charlyee Well-Known Member

I am new at this as well but I did just root my phone. I used the one step root caller x10Root. It has an unroot function in it as well.

Since at&t prevents side loading, I loaded the X10 Root app by using the Side Load Wonder Machine.

I plan to leave mine rooted for the ability to take scree shots and also to be able to use apps like Titanium BackUp etc.

Hope I was able to help a little.

gunny5821 likes this.
  5. gunny5821

OK some follow up questions. I am assuming that if you are rooted, the phone still works with AT&T correct? As much as I dislike them, I need them and I'm on a new 2 year contract. Questions:

1. Once you are rooted, can you still use the market and download things?
    2. Will the things on my phone remain there when I root, or will I need to do it all over again?
    3. Any other advice before I pull the trigger???
    4. AT&T doesn't allow side loading, so how do I root through them?

** I just downloaded the APK called X10Root (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6FAJAVVG), waiting to find out my next step..

Again, Thanks and I look forward to your replies..

6. gunny5821

You may want to follow my thread as I am asking the exact same question. Here is the Title: "Perparing to do my "1ST" ROOTING (Need Some HELP)"

7. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Gunny & Darthlinux I have merged your threads as they are about the same thing. Hope you both get sorted by the more technically minded contributors.

8. darthlinux

darthlinux Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tryed rooting my phone but I got a java error, am I meant to have java installed on my x10? or my computer?

9. charlyee

Hello gunny, yes the phone still works on at&t, infact it is still SIM locked to Blue.

1. You can still use the Market and depending on what bloatware you removed everything else as well.

2. All Apps that I put on and everything that it came with remained but the recommendation was to do a back up just in case.

3. Good luck, it is much easier than I thought.

4. You will need to use the Android Central Side Load Wonder Machine to load the X10 root on your device. I had a difficult time getting my deviced recognized even after following all the instruction, then I downloaded the SDK tools and the SWM stared to work.

It is not as complicated as it sounds, once you start, I am not doing a good job of explaining. Let me see if I can find some links.

PS: Found one:
    How to Install Non-Market Apps on Your AT&T Android

Good luck :)

10. charlyee

gunny, did you root yet? How did it go? :)