• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Persistant root

Let me see YOU bricked your fone and returned it?
Remind me to never sell you anything.
I would suggest you go get a copy of linux and a linux bible and spend some quality time with that before you get into rooting another fone.

Go get a linux magazine with a live copy of linux and DON'T install it. run it live it's a little slower but no system changes to your PC. less chance of you blasting your PC to infinity and beyond.
Learn the basics 1st like what chmod, vi, cat, ypcat, and man are.
USE the CLI since all you're going to have access to in adb is CLI. in linux syntax is everything. one wrong switch and your re-installing the OS. as you found out the hard way.

Please don't take this as a flame. This is meant to get you started in the right direction. That way once you get root you can acually do something constructive with it.
trust me you'll be alot more happy when you not only root your fone but acually understand what you are looking @.

later
Rich
on a side note.....
anyone wanna drop a ascii fork bomb on the behold II? I'm wondering what the repercussions would be??? think it would brick it or just make you reboot?

Upvote 0
See this thread for the proper USB drivers. I'm currently moving upto ubunto 9.10 and am seriously thinking about making the move back to slackware. ( it is the oldest/most reliably linux on the planet) just not the friendliest....

my next fone just may well be the SDK dev. 399.99 fone. why? Well I don't want to do anything with this fone except exploit it.

Oh I did try the ascii fork bomb both $ and #
ABSOLUTLY no effect to the fone, PC, or ADB shell. I found that rather interesting. since I use the fork bomb for a few things on other *nix systems. Seems they closed that somehow. maybe just a "kill -9" to that command. Means there won't be a buffer over flow from it (least not a standard ascii bomb) . I also found it interesting how bare bones the OS is. no vi or any other text editer. everything needs forced, pushed, or modified. after written.

A few more options might be back tracker or knoppix STD for this fone.

I'm happy with what I have, as I have root. and it allows me to do what I want/need..

thank you all for not being sheeple and being creative!! saved me weeks if not months.

later
Rich

Upvote 0
alright well no luck in my post, maybe I'll post here:

So i'm trying to root my Behold 2, been following the instructions on THE UNLOCKER, and want to connect it to ADB. I have the Android SDK on my C drive, and where I get stuck is when I put in the code to find the serial it gives me "LIST OF DEVICES:" and the serial is never there.

I have downloaded the Behold 2 drivers, and it installs every one except the Samsung ADB Interface which it fails on. I use the USBDEVIEW software to uninstall and try again but everytime it's the same failure, and yes the phone is set to USB debugged, and Samsung Studio.

I'm running Windows Premium 64bit, I don't know if running a 64 bit system has anything to do with this. Any help would be great! I thought I was a tech junkie until I ran into thisSo i'm trying to root my Behold 2, been following the instructions on THE UNLOCKER, and want to connect it to ADB. I have the Android SDK on my C drive, and where I get stuck is when I put in the code to find the serial it gives me "LIST OF DEVICES:" and the serial is never there.

I have downloaded the Behold 2 drivers, and it installs every one except the Samsung ADB Interface which it fails on. I use the USBDEVIEW software to uninstall and try again but everytime it's the same failure, and yes the phone is set to USB debugged, and Samsung Studio.

I'm running Windows Premium 64bit, I don't know if running a 64 bit system has anything to do with this. Any help would be great! I thought I was a tech junkie until I ran into this

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me. You have to go into your phone and turn off the mass storage device, Once you do that it will load the adb driver by itself. go to cmd and it will show up. Let me know if you need anything else. I would suggest to wait on rooting the phone unit its 100%. Reason being is i rooted the phone and it worked but then a bunch of apps started crashing so i did a factory reset with unrooted the phone but it wasnt the same, i got saved because i was still within my 14 so i exchange it for a new one. Ive been reading that 2.1 will be released OTA this month.

Upvote 0
I've experienced no problems with my fone since I went mid-root-val on it's buttocks!!!
accept the cpu is now a little over 200 bogoMIPS faster.
I might try ahome or panda now since I have the proccesor power to keep it from laging (it is just a overlay) so your running two skins not replacing one with the other.

I also expect the 1st OTA to kill the two root hacks that are out there and fix a bunch of stuff WE don't even know can be exploited.

Think about it! the behold 2 wasn't out 2 weeks and has temp and persistant root.
DROID, HTC HERO?......? NADA NOTHING!. One reason I went with the behold on the 18th. I know sumsung is lax. But they are also not fools.

later
rich

Upvote 0
The CPU auto speeds to save power. You'll see it at 528Mhz sometimes and 300 odd othertimes. There's some apps in market to control the CPU in other ways if you prefer.

Rooting won't increase the cpu speed or change its scheduling :)

DROID still isnt hacked, but thats because its running the latest live android OS so we cant use bugs already discovered in older kernels.

The hero (and most HTC devices) can be rooted by bypassing security using a gold card (an sdcard wit a specially generated key on it).

The behold was rooted with the same exploit that was used on other 1.5 systems from quite some time ago. The persistant root uses that same exploit, but just some trickery to make it run on every boot.

Upvote 0
So rooting the Behold 2 won't make it faster? because texting does not keep up with me on the Behold 2, and I was hoping rooting it would fix the issue.

Also to use the persisant root don't we need to connect the phone to ADB? A
root is a linux term, its elevated access and makes you "almost" system admin
it doesn not speed things up, it allows you do do stuff with your phone that needs that level of access.

you do need ADB to function in order to do this, i read your other post. are you using windows 7 x64 as that could cause you issues?

Upvote 0
KAM187 great to hear that we have found a way to get persistent root! if you need any help let me know! i dont get my phone for another week and a half, but my goal is to figure out how to get sense UI on the behold 2. I mean with 320 mbs of ram, it should run quite well without a swap partition.looking forward to whats to come!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones