• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Persistent rooting issues GT-i9305

Keira2142

Lurker
Oct 29, 2013
First of all, I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong section. Secondly, please be aware right now that the device in question is the S3 4G VERSION. Very different to the vanilla S3. I have dabled in rooting/flashing and general messing around with android firmwares before so I have a mild understanding but please be patient :p

Now the problem: Rooting. It shouldn't be hard. Should it? Not with tools like chainfires auto rooting kit these days... Alas, CF's auto root isn't doing it for me. At first I was having dramas with KNOX (congrats on loosing a long time customer there samsung). After i got rid of that with the de-samsungizer kit flashed through CWM it stopped showing the stupid "an application has attempted to gain root access and was blocked" crap. However SuperSu continued to crash, I'm assuming because the root was not properly completed. NO error codes or anything are ever returned from Odin, or CWM, everything looks like its happy but just not rooting. Confirmed with rootchecker.

Now a couple of other things I should mention: CWM keeps getting erased or something aswell? Like I'll turn the phone off to go into recovery mode, and im sitting at the bone stock one again, with the little red exclamation mark over my poor android corpse D:

I even tried disabling auto-reboot in ODIN when flashing CF's auto root, droppping the battery and manually starting recovery mode. I get excited when I see the red pirate-droid executing instructions, all goes well, everything is happy, still no root -_-

EDIT: In download mode, knox still exists and has logged EVERY attempt i've made. so everything is definitely executing just fine...

This is also my first time rooting in the presence of KNOX

I don't know what else to do... Am I missing something? is there a glaringly obvious thread or bit of information I've missed?

Thank you in advance for any help provided.

Hey Keira,

I've moved your thread over here to the SGS3 4G LTE all-things-root area for you (that's the right device, correct?).

The good folks in here will hopefully have some good advice for you.

Best of luck!

THanks mate sorry to be a pain like that I was pretty tired and all the forum areas started with android :p

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Ok so I took a break from this for a while cos i got really busy and didn't fancy doing MORE work on my phone when i finally got a spare tic. However, I came back to it today and managed to find a magic combination.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKING YOUR DEVICE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CRY IN A PM ABOUT IT THOUGH I COULD DO WITH A LAUGH.

The following is a guide for anyone having issues making the root stick on their GT-i9305 samsung galaxy s3 4G/LTE on android 4.3. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ON ANY OTHER OS VERSION, VARIANT OR DEVICE.

I noticed a particularly important piece of information in the following link: How to Fix Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Rooting Problem for Galaxy S3/S4/Note 2/3 - W0lfDroid

A superSu update. So i went there grabbed that package ( SuperSU Download for update package ) and started my grand master plan. If you would like to actually read what hte user said yourself, its in a quote bubble naer the bottom, just before the comments.

now. Using an important piece of information in a thread I cannot, for the life of me, find through my browser history (apologies) I grabbed a copy of pihlz touch which you can find in the following thread: [CWM][PhilZ Touch][GT-I9305] 4.00-b21 Touch … | Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, I9305 | XDA Forums <---- please do not consider this advertising, that is not the intention I am simply posting this for the benefit of any other passer by that may have the same issue.

Now. grab yo-self a copy of busybox's supersu root How to root Galaxy S3 I9305 with SuperSU 1.02 - Samsung Update located on that page. Make a folder on both your phone's internal storage and external, name them both the same thing and something you will remember. For instanceI called mine Root stuff. I only do folders on each of them in case I can't extract from external for whatever reason, its not necessary. Put both the supersu update you downloaded earlier and the one you just downloaded from above, busyboxes root, into both of these folders if you did it my way.

To avoid having to reboot your phone an extra time, make sure you did the above step BEFORE moving on

First up, I flashed philz touch with Odin (ensure you have the latest version, use your PDA checkbox and be sure that auto reboot and F. reset time are checked). Next up, turn your phone off and boot into your magnificent (no seriously, this is amazing. Its like a GUI in todays BIOS's...) new CWM recovery mode. Go into advanced and hit reset permissions or something like that... My phone is downstairs atm and I CBF in going and getting it and rebooting. Note that I am unsure if this is actually an essential part of the process, this is something I did because I worried about the permissions on the phone after my, by KNOX's count, 15 attempted flash operations -_- More like freaking 20 thousand....

Now once you have done that, go back to the main menu and tap install zips. FIRST you select the actual root, supersu1.02 busybox. Next, select the extra zip file option and que the UPDATE supersu-v2.02 after the actual root package. Once you have done this, swipe to install. THESE TWO PACKAGES MUST BE IN ORDER!!!!

Thats all I did. My phone rebooted and I was able to use Root checker to conform the root, allowed access to supersu and no crashing. Finally. THat was way too hard.

Thank you for hosting the website gentlemen/ladies where we can all come and share knowledge.

all credits go to anyone/webpage I linked people to and the brilliant programmers that made the packages. And finally, a HUGE thanks to Google and Linux (from which android is based) for freeing us from the shackles of iOS.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones