• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Personal cloud perhaps?

TurtleRunner

Oct 23, 2012
Update! I decided to buy one and got it yesterday.

What it is:
Ravpower Wireless Wifi Disk. A wireless mobile SD card and USB drive reader and phone/tablet charger.

In the box:
Wifi Disk, Micro USB to USB cable for charging/connecting directly to computer, and user manual.
Mobile Benefits:
* The Wifi Disk creates its own network (like a portable router). Access this like you would a wifi network.
* Can play your movies and music wirelessly from your SD card or USB thumb drive while on the go.
* Expand your device's storage.
* Share files wirelessly with other devices. Up to 5 devices at a time.
* Device can be accessed through any device that has a web browser or you can download their recommend app.
* Can charge my phone too with the USB port.

Where to buy Link

I haven't seen much like this product except maybe actual wireless HDDs but I didn't want to purchase another HDD when I already have one. I already have a WD My Passport HDD and now with this WiFi disk I'm able to wirelessly stream my videos on my tablet. I've been using the suggested app, Mobile fun, and it seems to be working ok for streaming/reading purposes. No more lugging a laptop around anymore just to view my shows from my HDD. This device has been a great addition to my nexus 7 since it lacks expandable storage and I have a ton of shows and media I would like to carry and access when I travel.

On downside, the network loads pretty slowly. Once I power this on, it takes maybe a minute or two for me to see the network in my tablet settings. Also it would also be nice if it had a larger battery life. 3000 mAh runs out quick if you're a heavy video streamer. Nonetheless, even with the slow start up and low battery life, this product works great and puts my tablet and portable HDD to good use.

---
Have anyone seen a device like this Ravpower WifiDisk? Supposedly you can carry this around with you so it can access your SD cards and flash drives wirelessly. Reviews say it's like a personal cloud device which is really interesting because I rather have all my items stored physically rather than wirelessly anyways. I haven't tried it yet but thinking of getting one.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones