1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Personal Finance app with Website sync and QIF export

Last Updated:

1. mcc1975

mcc1975 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

I've been looking for a personal finance app that has the following capabilities:
    (M=must-have, N= nice-to-have)
    M1: sync capabilities with a website that has further features like envelop budgeting, etc (something like toshl or mint)
    M2: QIF export capability from either website (preferred) or app. Favourably, the export can be done for all accounts
    M3: capability to use double-entry account. A simple expense tracking tool won't do.
    N1: possible to attach receipts through camera pictures

Background: I use Gnucash for my expense/incoming tracking and would like to use my HTC Desire for those tasks in the future. Since I don't want to enter data twice and I am thinking of slowly facing out usage of Gnucash (in case a website in the future really offers a viable alternative), sync is a must. For the interim, I would love to be able to export QIF files for importing them in Gnucash. I see some apps that can do the first (toshl, mint, etc) or the second requirement (anmoney, gbamoney) but none offers both.

I searched today for hours but don't seem to find a suitable app. Is there such an app around?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. magfield

magfield New Member

I'm looking for exactly the same thing. I find it hard to believe that people are willing to surrender their account information to an unaffiliated third-party that bears no responsibility for the information. I just watched an interview with the owner of Facebook, who actually, when confronted with an obvious fact, admitted that designers of apps running on Facebook steal information (ie, sell private information to others). When uncovered, they are "removed" from Facebook. This misses the point from the user's point of view, namely, that it doesn't do you a lot of good if someone made off with all your account information and the source of this information has been punished by no longer being allowed to work with Facebook! I really do not think it is a good idea to post all of your account access information to any private company. I would be very happy to learn that there is some product out there that replicates the features of a Pocket Quicken.

3. mcc1975

Hi Magfield

if I trust the company and it seems to be a trustful one, I wouldn't mind that much having my transaction data on that website. What I don't think I would do is to allow such a website access to my bank accounts, not even in a read-only way.

BTW: I'd be willing to pay fairly generously for a tool that meets those requirements stated above.

Cheers
    Marcio

4. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

Have you looked for any online sites that offer what you want and just use it thru the browser? I don't know if there are any but I doubt there are any Android apps that do what you want.

5. ravisghosh

ravisghosh Member

Any app that would simply export to qif would still be a great thing to use with gnucash. Is there any such app available?

6. Net_Srfr

Net_Srfr New Member

Loot Premium has QIF export functionality, and as a "X-Mas Gift" from the developer is currently free. Just remember you must have Loot installed to launch Loot Premium.

7. oo3

oo3 Member

Pocketmoney has just been released on Android which should have those features soon. I had the iPhone version and it was one of the best. You can go to the developer's website at Home - Catamount Software - Mobile

8. MrDonBonJovi

MrDonBonJovi Well-Known Member

Mint?

9. mcc1975

Thanks for the feedback.

@MrDonBonJovi: Mint is only usable in the US. I live in Switzerland and it doesn't even show up on the android market. I managed to have it installed through a complex alternative method but it still didn't have all the features I was looking for, specifically double-entry accounting.

@oo3: Thanks, I will have a look at PM and post my findings. It looks promising.

@Net_Srfr: Thanks, will check this one as well and revert with my experience.

10. mcc1975

Hi all

I tried both PocketMoney and Loot. Both are capable but after some trying I prefer PocketMoney. The only thing I still miss is the possibility to use multiple currencies (for me CHF and EUR). Well, I guess you can't have it all. Import and export works almost flawlessly. It seems there is a PocketMoney desktop application and that it can be synchronized with your mobile version.

It seems I have found an almost perfect solution. Thanks for all replies.

Cheers

11. maboze1x

maboze1x New Member

Hello!

I'm also looking for a program like this. But have a question.... Can you sync PocketMoney with your dasktop "online" or you have to connect it physically-cabel?

12. mcc1975

Hi

no, this is AFAIK not possible. I always have to copy the .qif file to Gnucash and have then to import it. It is never an automated task and I still have to tell Gnucash what some accounts are.

Well, if you want, you could sync the .qif file to your dropbox/cloud storage and then have it synced on your desktop machine. In this case you wouldn't need a physical connection.

If you want double-entry accounting and at the same time desktop sync, I still don't see a better solution.

Cheers