• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Personalize Text Tones?

Soarndt, this actually has been covered, but here's what you do...

Go to Settings > Sounds & display. Scroll down to Notification ringtone. Select your ringtone.

If you want it to broadcast at a volume other than what you've set for rings, then go to Ringer volume, uncheck the box, and set the two volume controls.

Now, if you want to use a custom ringtone for these events, you will have to load it to a Notifications directory that you will create on your memory card.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help, but I don't think you've answered my question. I understand I wasn't very specific, but what I want is to give different people different "ringtones" for when they text. I have a separate "ringtone" for texts, but there's no way that I have found to change it individually.

For instance, there is a ringtone that plays for everyone who doesn't have a specific ringtone. Then I have separate ringtones for some of my contacts. This is what I hear when they call. I also have a "ringtone" that plays when anyone texts. However, I cannot change what plays when specific people text.

So I have a Ringtones folder with songs and a Notifications folder with songs, but what I want is individualized "text tones."

Upvote 0
the stock app doesnt do custom individual texts per contact like you can ringtones. i think there are free apps that may be able to do this for you while still using the stock app. however there are 3rd party messaging apps that may be easier to use. i personally use handcent. it can be tricky to find the option but that is a free 3rd party that has the feature you are looking for along with alot of other bells and whistles.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the answers. I am new and came in here for some information. I have not even bought my phone yet because I cannot find one that I like and has what I am looking for. This is one of, if not the main thing that I am looking for in a phone because I text about 80% of the time. If I can't get individual text message ringtones for my contacts then I will hold off on changing over to Android and keep the phone that I have. I am so clueless when it comes to apps....I am trying to learn about that nowl. Anyways thanks again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones