Persuasion of why the Desire would be a better choice than the wildfire for me... or would it?

Last Updated:

1. Shazz

Shazz Member This Topic's Starter

I can upgrade my phone in 10 days time, and have decided on either the HTC Wildfire or the Desire.
    I have decided on a smartphone, but really cannot decide between the two I have narrowed it down to.

- I don't ring anyone very often, or receive calls much, but send and receive a great deal of texts.
    - I like to keep updated with football news, and regularly check the internet and news feeds for this. I don't watch a great deal of videos, although occasionally watch highlights from football matches but that's about it. (no movies etc - I have an ipod touch for that)

- I will also need the battery to last throughout about 18 hours as I will be at uni and when I get in will be at work for 5 hours.
    I won't use the phone for heavy music use so this is not majorly important either.
    - I would use the phone mostly for facebook and social networking, and uploading pictures to facebook I take on the camera.

- I also heard there are apps that don't work on the Wildfire but work on the Desire and wondered if these are important apps or just occasional ones, with the majority being available for both. I won't play games on it, as I have the ipod touch for that, too.

I also get the impression the wildfire may be better than the desire for someone with an active lifestyle - I am out and about most of the time, playing sport, and going out on the town at night. I get the impression the wildfire would be less likely to get broken or stolen for some reason when I go out?

Is the desire worth

Advertisement
  2. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

The key things Desire gives you over Wildfire is flexibility and future-proofing. If you definitely know what you want and Wildfire offers you all of them - then go for that. If you are not sure what you want or want to expand the way you use your phone then seriously consider the Desire.

Shazz likes this.
  3. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

When it comes to technology, is often pays to get slightly higher specifications than you think you need. You'll inevitably appreciate it! ;)

Check mobiles.co.uk. They have several competitive text and data contracts for the Desire with low minutes. I got mine from there, I paid

Shazz likes this.
  4. Shazz

Thanks, yeah 'future proofing' was something I wanted to say, but didn't know how to put it into the right words! I know some of what I want in the phone, but don't want to be 'left behind' with advances in the next couple of years or so while I still have it on contract (can't afford

5. Shazz

6. Corinne

Corinne Member

I have a HTC Desire and my sister has the HTC Wildfire so I've been able to compare the two phones first-hand. As you know, the Wildfire's display is nowhere near as good as the Desire's. If you take a look at the phone first-hand, you'll realise just how bad the quality can be. The main thing I've noticed is that when she's browsing websites, text appears a lot more pixelated and can sometimes be illegible without zooming, whereas I can see small text very clearly on my Desire. Also there have been quite a few apps that I've recommended she download but she is unable to find it on the Market as her device is not supported. In regards to battery life, I haven't really noticed a major difference between our phones but I guess it all depends on how much you use it.

I'd definitely recommend you get the Desire. I only pay

Shazz likes this.
  7. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

I looked at the wildfire and the screen is pants. The speed on the other hand didn't seem that different from my desire. In all honesty i would get the desire just fire the much better screen.

Shazz likes this.
  8. Shazz

Cheers everyone, will be getting a desire a week on sat :) no doubt this forum will come in useful :D

9. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

The Wildfire is repulsive. You have made the right decision.

10. brad-short

brad-short Well-Known Member

also consider the legend, for the uses you have specified