• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pet peeves thread

I like to watch shows on Netflix with my phone. Most of the time when I start Netflix, it hangs on a black screen. The only answer I've found is to go to the home page, settings, apps, select Netflix and click "Force Stop". I can then fire Netflix back up and it works great. I have to do this almost every time though.

Upvote 0
I like to watch shows on Netflix with my phone. Most of the time when I start Netflix, it hangs on a black screen. The only answer I've found is to go to the home page, settings, apps, select Netflix and click "Force Stop". I can then fire Netflix back up and it works great. I have to do this almost every time though.

I watch Netflix on lunch at work several times a week and have never experienced the Force Close error you speak of. At the very least, I'd recommend an uninstall/reinstall of Netflix and possibly even a master reset on your phone if that doesn't fix it. However, I think it's worth it in the end if you continue to experience issues.

Upvote 0

I was having this problem, too, and uninstalling/reinstalling Netflix didn't fix it. Then I discovered that if I'm holding the phone vertically when I launch the app, it never happens. Only if I'm holding it horizontally. Since that realization, I haven't had it hang again.

Upvote 0
Big pet peeve here: When you adjust the volume while watching videos, the "media volume" knob appears in the center of the screen totally blocking what you're watching. Why oh why?? I think the other two phones I was considering buying did the same thing, it's totally ridiculous. Maybe it's an Android thing rather than specific to the DNA.

Upvote 0
I have a Nokia wireless charging stand on my nightstand that I put the phone on as I go to bed every night. Occasionally I notice the screen lighting up in the middle of the night. Not so much that it has been a big problem, but still...

So this morning I woke up about 5am for some reason to the light coming on to the lock screen. Stayed lit up for about 30 seconds then dark again. I watched it and two minutes later it did it again. And another 2 minutes later again. And four minutes after that again, and then 8 minutes, and and then 4 minutes.... on and on. I'm guessing it does this all the time and I'm just sleeping through it

My guess is that when I put it on the charger when I go to bed it shuts the screen off a minute after I put it on the charger. But then when it's fully charged (sometime in the middle of the night) it starts cycling - stops charging, runs for a few minutes, and then starts charging again and the screen lights up again for a few seconds when it starts charging again. On and on.

Are others seeing this behavior? Is my interpretation of what's causing it the actual cause? Whatever it is... I don't like it.

Upvote 0
I have a Nokia wireless charging stand on my nightstand that I put the phone on as I go to bed every night. Occasionally I notice the screen lighting up in the middle of the night. Not so much that it has been a big problem, but still...

So this morning I woke up about 5am for some reason to the light coming on to the lock screen. Stayed lit up for about 30 seconds then dark again. I watched it and two minutes later it did it again. And another 2 minutes later again. And four minutes after that again, and then 8 minutes, and and then 4 minutes.... on and on. I'm guessing it does this all the time and I'm just sleeping through it

My guess is that when I put it on the charger when I go to bed it shuts the screen off a minute after I put it on the charger. But then when it's fully charged (sometime in the middle of the night) it starts cycling - stops charging, runs for a few minutes, and then starts charging again and the screen lights up again for a few seconds when it starts charging again. On and on.

Are others seeing this behavior? Is my interpretation of what's causing it the actual cause? Whatever it is... I don't like it.

Believe it or not, I've seen this behavior with a normal corded charger with my DNA. Not frequently, just once or twice. Could be I've slept through other instances.

Upvote 0

i have the same charger and have not noticed this at all and im up late with the phone on the charger while im up and havnt seen this happen once

2 things are you sure the plug in the back of the stand is plugged in all the way

and are you sure some app isnt waking up the device

i have yet to see this problem i will keep an eye out on mine even more now

Upvote 0
The thing that kills me about this phone is that they replaced the Menu key with a Recent Apps key. Now the Menu key is taking up real estate on the screen. I love everything else about this phone, but this one thing is driving me nuts. Why would they go thru the trouble to make this large, beautiful screen only to use a significant portion of it as a permanent Menu button??? I really hope this can be changed at some point with a software update or an app from the play store!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones