Petition for LG Ally Android 2.2General

Last Updated:

1. Mitchell4500

Mitchell4500 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. thedrizl

thedrizl Well-Known Member

signed it. they better give it to us. for years now i've heard what a great company LG is. now that i actually own one of their products i'm starting to wonder exactly what people were talking about in the first place.

3. heffe2001

heffe2001 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, which similarly equipped phones are getting 2.2 (as stated in the petition)?

And do you REALLY think an online petition will make them do 2.2 on a device if it doesn't have the specs to really run it?

4. Mitchell4500

Google says all phones running 2.1 can run 2.2 and the mytouch is getting it.

I think a petition could help and I don't care what you think.

5. heffe2001

The Mytouch has a GPU in the system, the Ally has none. If I remember reading right, that was one of the problems, the phone uses the main system ram for graphics processing, which the mod over at LG Communities mentioned was a problem. A phone closer to the specs of the Ally is the G1, and it's definitely NOT getting Froyo, as it's hardware is too limited to run it.

They haven't definitely said, NO FROYO, but if the system just isn't powerful enough to handle the OS, or it not be a step up from what you have now, why would they do it? For what it is, the phone works well, and hopefully the LG engineers can squeeze Froyo in there, but a petition demanding it won't really sway their decision.

If getting Froyo is that important, maybe folks should look into the Droid2, it's got the hardware keyboard also, and is supposed to have Froyo pre-installed at release. Couple that with a 1ghz proc, and a total of 16g memory by default (8g built in, 8g SD included), it'd be a win/win.

6. exlguser

exlguser New Member

I’m done with Lg, seriously who releases their first android phone in the American market with no thought of future upgradeability...seriously?...and leaving your customers in the dark is poor customer relations at best bordering on arrogance.
    droidX here I come! I wonder just how much business lg is loosing to Motorola over this issue, They will not get 2.2 so stop wishing and jump ship while/if you can. Lost a customer for life with this on, goodbye

7. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member

Hardly any because I guarantee you that 80-90% of the people who bought the Ally have no idea what Froyo is.

Oh yeah....goodbye. We will miss you because your one lifetime post has been so helpful to all the members of this forum.

8. heffe2001

I agree with this for the most part, although I'd say the percentages might be a bit off. I'd say a good portion more than 10-20% of Ally users know what Froyo is, and the benefits.

I'd love to see the LG developers pull a rabbit out of their hat as far as Froyo is concerned on the Ally, but if you REQUIRE froyo for whatever reason, you'd be better served by getting a phone that's known to be receiving that upgrade, instead of wishing really hard that you'll get it on the Ally, which at this point looks iffy at best.

And FlyinJoe, you have GOT the be the same Joe from lgallyforums, as you have his same sunny personality... :p

9. scoty777

scoty777 Well-Known Member

I replaced my Eris with the Ally, I like the Ally a lot; except the time without signal issue; I thought 2.2 was going to address this issue?

10. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

Yes it does, but so far an LG Tech (who doesn't have an answer either) is saying that LG is working to fix all these bugs BUT prob wont release 2.2 to ally

11. Mitchell4500

Well were getting 2.2!

12. wgbeatty

wgbeatty Well-Known Member

But EXLGUSER said we're not. :rolleyes:

Now I'm confused..lol.

No time frame just yet, but at least we'll see something.

13. Mitchell4500

Well the LG representative said we are... And so Did there custom service, and website.

14. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

the petition to start now is for a date, to find out if were gonna get it at least before the year is over

15. Outlaw.99

Outlaw.99 Well-Known Member

16. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

Screw them, now that a working recovery has been built, we will make our own froyo! FTW!!

17. Outlaw.99

Its on the way... Even though the hardware was in doubt for a bit, the Ally is getting it....

18. Mitchell4500

Its always funny how the products community supports the product more then the devlopers of such product.

19. Outlaw.99

Well the developers usually do their work BEFORE it come out... heh... Once we have it, they have probably moved on to the next project...

20. robersonj

robersonj Member

So the Ally is going to get 2.2? That's sweet. Has there been a release date yet? I see this post was written about a month ago... not sure if a date has been set.

21. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

No release date yet

22. jamesnmandy

jamesnmandy Well-Known Member

i dont think its gonna happen guys....the LG rep posted on the verizon forums saying they are working on fixing some of the locking up and rebooting problems we have had in a separate update that is not a 2.2 update

i would highly doubt they are spending huge resources on fixing that AND porting 2.2 to the Ally......my guess is once they fix the bugs mentioned in this device update they will stop updating the Ally at all for the most part

i called Verizon about my phone rebooting today again, i pointed out the multi-page thread in their own support forums of others having the same issue, and how the "LG Pro" rep basically posted admitting they are working on a fix for the rebooting issues...and she said you can't believe any of that, none of that is official, as if to suggest i and all those people are just making shit up.....arrogant ****

23. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

We'll get it one way or another

24. Mitchell4500

25. Johnny Langton

Johnny Langton Well-Known Member

Which is a steaming pile of poo, just like the original Droid's keyboard. I like the "powertrain" of the Droid 2, but a crappy keyboard is just that....a crappy keyboard, and nothing can overcome that.
    JL