Phandroid Exclusive! First Android Gingerbread details!!!

Last Updated:

1. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I can't BELIEVE how no one has even mentioned it even though its on the front page of Phandroid!

[Exclusive] First Android Gingerbread Details | Android Phone Fans

Check this lil' nugget out:
    - "Building upon that, we’ve also learned that Google’s adding SIP support in their Google Voice application to allow you to receive calls to your Google Voice number over WiFi and cellular data."

wowwowowoowowowowowow :eek:

Read up on the details and tell us what you think. Thank you Phandroid for finally bringing a leak or two. Every little bit that comes out only means Gingerbread is that much closer to release. I'm thinking all us Nexus owners will end up having Gingerbread by the end of Nov! :D

Advertisement
  2. aquaitious

aquaitious Well-Known Member

I admit, I read this through NewsRob when it first came out, but I was about to go to class so my attention span was very low.

I'm very, very, BERRY excited about Google Voice WiFi calling! Holy crap, that sounds way too good to be true...

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I still think it's gossip. Nothing really WOW in the article. I was expecting to hear that Google will be using BumpTop or BlindType in Gingerbread. I'm curious to how Google will use those acquired companies. Also, there was no mentioning of an improvement to the Music app with the implementation of the Music Store. Actually I haven't heard anything on the Music Store since its announcement a couple of months back.

The only thing that interests me from the article is the hardware acceleration. Any improvement in the speed of the phone is a win :)

GV VoIP calling sounds cool, but the thing is...GV is still primarily an American app, so until Google makes GV 'international' it won't affect many of us 'international' users. Video chat is for more of the newer models. Doubt I'll use it with my Nexus One as it would be annoying and cubersome using the rear/back camera.

I'm curious to how Gingerbread will improve YouTube. I'm thinking make the widget better looking!

The picture leak was a very big dissapointment. It was blurry beyond imagination that it makes you wonder. It did not give a clear indication that the OS running was Gingerbread.

If I have an inside source from Google, I’d definitely ask what features in Gingerbread will stop the fragmentation of Android OS. I believe that was the big gossip when Gingerbread rumors started floating around. And it was not even mentioned anywhere in the article.

So am I excited about Gingerbread? From the article, no, as there’s no hype from it at all.

My $0.02

-Roze-

4. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Well just the fact that an ex-palm creator is working on this is good news. hopefully gingerbread will bring that polish to Android.

5. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

That blurry photo doesn't really show much, it seems like all the cosmetic changes they are talking about could be done with a custom rom/theme. but if that is gingerbread then the most important detail is pretty clear, the N1 will definitely be getting it.

6. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

its nice that the rumblings have begun, but the details and pictures are just to sketchy

7. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Seriously what the hell kinda screenshot is that? This guy snap a shot with his 1995 Logitech webcam while brushing up against someone in the subway?

IndivisibleP likes this.
  8. Roze

Well it's on a Nexus One!!! :D

9. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

One way to get traffic to the site though...

10. BiGMERF

how they could ever get anything from that picture is beyond me.. looks like froyo to me

11. aquaitious

aquaitious Well-Known Member

Froyo doesn't have a dark notification bar...looks like rooted Froyo. ;-)

12. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that if it was true that the photo would be that bad. I mean come on, you really have to try to take a shot that poor.

13. BiGMERF

common dude, obviously its rooted.. but its still froyo to my eyes

14. clutchy

clutchy Well-Known Member

for GV if you can now use it w/ data and wifi that means i could can my minutes and switch over to my GV number full time. It would save me loads of money.

Does anyone know if you can just get data from the carriers? Ditch the phone minutes and text and just use data?

something to think about! very cool!

15. Roze

@ clutchy, I think this would depends on your carrier. I know there was one member here that only use data and VOIP for calls.

16. clutchy

i'm thinking no, but i'll look into it :)

17. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I know my carrier is the only one in my country that offers data only plans. It's also the cheapest by far, all our other telecoms are conservative money gobblers. Too bad Google doesn't allow me to use gv in my country :(
    I feel like I'm missing out on 20% of this phone's awesome functionality.

18. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

It's not... check out the new vid that's been posted.

19. Ebattilana100

Ebattilana100 Well-Known Member

20. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

Clutchy, if you're in the US, T-Mobile offers a data only plan for $40/month with no contract. You will still be able to make calls over the network but it'll cost $0.45/minute.

Unsupported Browser

21. clutchy

^awesome thanks for the heads up!