Phandroid vs. Tapatalk

1. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

I had been using the Phandroid app for posting here, until I saw the announcement that Tapatalk was now enabled for this forum. I had to reinstall Tapatalk to test it out, and I've been bouncing back and forth. What do you guys think? I like the news feed in the Phandroid app, but Tapatalk is more functional.

Advertisement
    :
  2. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

Is Tapatalk free or paid?
  3. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Paid and I purchased it for this forum only to find out it was disabled. Going to have to try again.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  4. brotherswing

I paid for it back when I first got my phone. Bought it for gaming forums and because it had great reviews. Then by the time I rooted, I just never reinstalled it. Until now.
  5. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

I use either my PC in my office, or my laptop downstairs. When I was on vacation though, sometimes I would use the Phandroid app if the connection at the hotel was too crappy to use my laptop. Since I'm not on vacation that often, I can't see the justification in paying for Tapatalk.
  6. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

I would use the Phandroid app all the time, but I get errors using it which make it so I can't view certain threads. Both are good apps, I like the fact that I can make tapatalk a dark or light theme.
  7. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

Which one is better for editing.
  8. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

I'm liking tapatalk
  9. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Well-Known Member

It was free for a while on Get Jar during their winter sale. :D

Anyway, its much better than the Phandroid app or using the browser. It's indispensable if you post a lot on forums.
    Dual2thecore and AndyOpie150 like this.
  10. AngelArs

AngelArs Well-Known Member

Tapatalk - and I use it more and more each day.
  11. blkbeltkid17

blkbeltkid17 Well-Known Member Contributor

Being on ICS the Phandroid app no longer works for me so I am using tapatalk and Google currents so I can still read the Phandroid news
  12. benslgdroid

We're talking strictly for the optimus v
  13. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

Tapatalk seems to work better and is more convient.
  14. brotherswing

I think that what input he offered still has value. Most people developing for the OV'S are trying to get ICS running, so that tip may yet come into play.
  15. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

If the Phandroid app didn't have the issues it has, I'd use it over tapatalk. I prefer the phandroid interface and the fact I can get the main news site on the app as well as the forum.

That being said, there is nothing really wrong with tapatalk, I'd just prefer the phandroid app to work properly.
  16. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Tapatalk is still free on Getjar if anyone wants it. (it's legit, not a pirated app store)
    350X, cableguynoe, omnius and 2 others like this.
  17. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Well-Known Member

Well, I got Tapatalk so I could use it with this forum. I sure can not find it on my phone whether I search for it specifically or go through all the menus looking for it.

Could someone please tell me what the name is in the app, or what url to search for. I search for the same url as is on my computer, androidforums.com and get "0" results.

Thanks
  18. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Omit the .com and it should find it fine. That's what worked for me.
    chrstdvd likes this.
  19. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Well-Known Member

Ur the man! Thanks.
    El Presidente likes this.
  20. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Since the thread was moved to the lounge (not sure why the lounge vs the app forum) it is open for all phones now and is strictly app vs app.
  21. benslgdroid

I didn't know that because it's still showing in my app as the optimus forum. Don't know why when we were talking about which works better in the optimus v. Sometimes I feel they might jump to conclusions when moving threads.
  22. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Three reasons I use Tapatalk vs Phandroid:
    1. Keep all forums I use in one place with a consistent UI.
    2. More profile info in Tapatalk, especially device info.
    3. Best of all, I can go to another app, even lock the phone, and Tapatalk resumes where I left it. Phandroid starts from the beginning all over again.

With Tapatalk I miss the easy access to the news section. Not enough to switch to Phandroid though.
    UssjTrunks likes this.
  23. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

1. tapatalk uses less memory

2. phandroid app is dead.. no one is trying to finish / fix it.

3. tapatalk lets me keep all forums in one nice area... same UI for all.

4. I can get news from other apps.

winner by a landslide... Tapatalk
    UssjTrunks likes this.
  24. brotherswing

Although, being free is an advantage, too.
  25. blkbeltkid17

blkbeltkid17 Well-Known Member Contributor

news from other apps meaning other posters?
    i know i am using currents to keep up with phandroids news stream is there a way to do it tapatalk?