• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phandroid's New Look

it looks nice, but i'll never use the frontpage again.
I like all articles as 1 chronological list so I can see what I haven't read yet, it's annoying to have everything grouped by subject with only the last 1-3 articles visible on the frontpage.

I guess i'm replacing all my bookmarks with phandroid.com/news
You can just tap "see all" after the first few headlines.

Too much green, and ugly "material" design for me.

Upvote 0
I like all articles as 1 chronological list so I can see what I haven't read yet, it's annoying to have everything grouped by subject with only the last 1-3 articles visible on the frontpage.

A lot of people will ultimately do that. I believe we have the best of both worlds now that can suit all kinds of readers. If you like a one stop shop for all things Android you have a portal and if you want just the latest news, you can have that too!

Upvote 0

This.

The front page is definitely too cluttered now so I've changed my bookmark to the one above (Good suggestion, thank you).

The mobile site is an improvement, it still seems a little cluttered though. Have you thought about a lighter option for those on a poor connection.

I like how you can see who's written the articles and I like the ability to switch between list and mosaic.

Is this final or are you tweaking a little more?

Last edited:
Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I'll be honest not sure I am liking the new look (one reason I haven't visited another android site since they changed as it was just too "big" and in your face). It would be nice if we could hide the menu on the left. Also not a big fan of menus on the left for web. This works fine on a phone with Android.

If you look at this post http://phandroid.com/2015/08/17/official-google-android-marshmallow-reveal-statue-video/ it takes up the entire top portion of my screen. I have to scroll down to actually start reading the content. I assume I won't have this issue on my desktop but I can't check until I get home.

Upvote 0
I'll be honest not sure I am liking the new look (one reason I haven't visited another android site since they changed as it was just too "big" and in your face). It would be nice if we could hide the menu on the left.

Menu on the left is hidden for me unless I open it.

I'm on my phone as well - what browser(s) are you using? I'd like to match up and see if it varies that way.

Upvote 0
HTC Internet browser on HTC M8 - Phandroid main page, 19 seconds. Android Police main page - less than 4 (in Mississippis, it's three and half seconds).

I'm working in a rural area with 1.5 Mbps DSL, so no, my phone isn't usually this slow.

But it's over 5 times slower on a connection where I can see the difference.

When I get back to LTE or back home with my faster service, I'm sure it'll improve.

But I don't think that is the point.

Oh well, carry on yeah? :D

Upvote 0
when's Android Forums? :p (nah the sites fine)

I just checked your join date, I didn't realise you were that new :p.

AF migrated from VB to Zenforo at the tail end of last year.

You joined in January though so you missed it. Check out the wayback machine to see what we used to look like. :)

Upvote 0
It would be nice if we could hide the menu on the left.
Menu on the left is hidden for me unless I open it.

Like Android Forums, Phandroids layout changes based on my browser width (on desktop). Making the width smaller automatically hides the left menu.

Reactions: LitrosNub
Upvote 0
Since the "update", I'm now seeing a lot of blank spaces where content should be. The green line is doing an animation, which indicates that it might be loading something, but nothing ever appears. So at the moment, the site is unusable for me. And I've tried Firefox and Chrome, both on Mac and Linux Mint, it's not working on my Oppo phone stock browser, things sometimes appear, or it's just completely blank.

phandroid.jpg

Upvote 0
I like the new look on mobile view, not so much on the PC. That's backward from my usual take. Typically I hate mobile view because I can't see enough in a single glance. In this case, I don't want to see that much in a single glance because of the info overload.

I'm good w/both.
Desktop is working just fine for me,I can easily navigate,seems intuitive to me.
Mobile,just as IOWABOWTECH put it,A Perfect Balance.
I'd like to hear from someone who is new to both PHANDROID & ANDROID FORUMS to get their take on the "new" site.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones