Phantom (on its own) swipes to the leftSupport

Last Updated:

1. bostontom

bostontom Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

I've read another related thread with a similar issue but it died down and I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a bigger deal. My Incredible has been chronically swiping to the left I'd say 95% of the time I use it. It is almost definitely the track pad. Nothing is actually being tapped, just swiped. This sucks when it moves on its own to the far left screen, but it is insanely annoying when typing a text message/email and the cursor just races to the left of the message. Ah! I have tried pulling the battery, swabbing the track pad with alcohol, fully draining and charging the battery, but to no luck. The only way to make it stop is to press the track pad, and even then, sometimes it doesn't stop or just starts 10 seconds later.

I really DO NOT want to return my current Incredible for a new one because then I'll be stuck with the newer (and cheaper/crappier) screens that are being shipped now. I love the contrast and vibrancy of the screen and don't want to be downgraded! Has anyone found a fix for this? I hope, but doubt the upcoming OTA will help. I know this isn't an isolated issue as a couple of my friends with the INC are experiencing the same issue.

Thanks so much!

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

This seems to be usually caused by static electricity on the surface of the phone. Try grounding your phone (or even putting it on a metal surface, or shaking it) and it should stop.

3. ikediggety

ikediggety Well-Known Member

try blowing out the trackpad with compressed air. maybe some dust got in there. i've had the same thing intermittently and it's always fixed by cleaning the pad.

4. bostontom

What is the best method of grounding the phone? I currently have a screen protector and silicon case on it. I'm assuming I'd have to remove the silicon case and then place it on a metal object? Do I need to place a certain part of the phone on metal?

5. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

OTA floating around that's suppose to be coming soon says something about grounding issues and the fix along with the 720 video.

6. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Nope, just taking it out of its case should technically ground it through you, so that should be enough. If it still does it, ground it to something metal.

7. bostontom

The evidence leads me to believe this has nothing to do with the screen. However, I have completely air dusted, micro fibered the screen to no avail. It must be the trackpad, because like I said, when writing a text message, the cursor will move on its own, one character at a time to the left. The only way to do this on the phone is to tap between letters, or (what is most likely happening) swiping to the left on the trackpad itself.

8. jayefef

jayefef Well-Known Member

I had this happen to me in the first few weeks of having it. I tried all the methods above and they seemed to work just fine. I haven't had many issues after. Make sure you keep dust out of the trackpad. Also try recalibrating and a soft reset. Hope that helps.