• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phantom Skinz Doesn't Fit Quite Right?!?!

DGalt

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
So I got my phantom skinz screen protector today. I went to put it on and it didn't fit. It was too small by about a 1mm on each side (length and width). I thought these things were supposed to be slug fits. Is this normal or should I contact them?

I put a Phantom Skinz on yesterday. It doesn't go flush with the bezel on the sides but It's not 1mm gap on each side. Maybe 1mm gap total. the cut out seems pretty big around the earpiece but the sides don't have a big gap. A tiny bit i think is normal. If your's is 1mm on each side send it back.

On the other hand DO Not get the skin for the Nikon D90/D300. Not even close to fitting on the D90. like 1 inch gap. Haha. It probably fits the 2.5" D80/D200 screen but definitely not the 3.0" on the D90.

Upvote 0
My phantomskinz is sitting on my desk, waiting for a few minutes of uninterrupted free time and patience to install.

QUESTION: what happens it you DONT have the johnsons baby shampoo? use some other soap? use nothing but water?????

I always use a tiny drop of whatever is closest to the bathroom sink. I dont think it really matters what you use.

Upvote 0
I always use a tiny drop of whatever is closest to the bathroom sink. I dont think it really matters what you use.

Great, thanks for the info :)

My first isntall for a phantom/zagg/whatever. In the past I've just used cheap static cling screen protectors on my old win-mo phones... This Droid (my preciousssssssss) is gonna get a little better treatment :)

Upvote 0
no it's 1mm total (didn't express that well in my original post). I just figured it should fit in there exactly, and when it didn't I was concerned.

Any tricks to installing it? Guess I'll do that tomorrow

I've never seen a skin for any device that fit perfectly. I think they leave a little margin of error because erring on the side of too big won't work at all. The only thing I've seen fit perfectly is the generic invisible shield i cut to fit my droid. but I didn't cut out the earphone part and couldn't hear shit on a call. haha. I didn't like how thick it was or the grippy feeling it had, not to mention the ugly orange peel.

The Phantom Skin is fine. Actually its a little stretchy so you might be able to stretch it across to be full coverage. I heard people say they tear so I don't know if that's wise. But you don't need the cover anyway. If a fresh cut key won't scratch it's not going to scratch.

Upvote 0
I think they all cut them a few .002mm smaller than the screen or whatever the measurement may be, I just tossed that number out there. :p

When putting on a screen protector, a smaller piece is ALWAYS better than one that is too large. If it was too large, it would fold over the surrounding bezel surrounding the glass screen and would end up causing air to seep or enter beneath the edges... think about it... I'm right; aren't I? :cool: ^_^

I just installed mine yesterday afternoon (PhantomSkinz) and the fit is ALMOST flawless. Well, pretty much FLAWLESS. In my honest opinion = BEST. PROTECTOR. EVER. :eek:

Upvote 0
I am interested in one of these phantom skinz, I have/had a 3M shield for the whole body, but when showing it off to a co-worker i grabbed some keys and made like 6 or 7 passes...and to my dismay it didn't reform itself like a Zagg does. Had to take it off the screen, now I'm trying to decide if I want to just go naked or try on of these.

Upvote 0
I am interested in one of these phantom skinz, I have/had a 3M shield for the whole body, but when showing it off to a co-worker i grabbed some keys and made like 6 or 7 passes...and to my dismay it didn't reform itself like a Zagg does. Had to take it off the screen, now I'm trying to decide if I want to just go naked or try on of these.

The PhantomSkinz are elite. If you use them, they will make your device elite. They may even make you elite.

Besides, for 30-35% off they're running with coupons right now, they are well worth it. Screen protector itself only costs $6.99 with the 30% off coupon and they give you TWO of them.

Upvote 0
The PhantomSkinz are elite. If you use them, they will make your device elite. They may even make you elite.

Besides, for 30-35% off they're running with coupons right now, they are well worth it. Screen protector itself only costs $6.99 with the 30% off coupon and they give you TWO of them.

I said screw it and got the full body kit, just under $18 shipped for 2 sets, can't go wrong. So these don't have any type of a rubbery feel like others? I never minded the Zagg's feel really but if this is smoother that is nice.

Upvote 0
whew.... took me a friggin hour, but I got the full body kit installed. Flat surfaces were a piece of cake, but the little pieces on the corner were a pain in the ass! (newbie first time installer for a full body skin product).

It's definitely just a tad less smooth than before with the "factory" in the box screen protector.... but I absolutely can live with it, not bad at all.

Upvote 0
whew.... took me a friggin hour, but I got the full body kit installed. Flat surfaces were a piece of cake, but the little pieces on the corner were a pain in the ass! (newbie first time installer for a full body skin product).

It's definitely just a tad less smooth than before with the "factory" in the box screen protector.... but I absolutely can live with it, not bad at all.
It took me about an hour and a half to install my Phantom Skinz full body kit. I took my time to do it right, and you are SO right in saying the corner pieces are a PITA! I have never done it before, and it came out near perfect. I agree with what you said about it making it slippery. I am going to keep them on as I plan on using the skin in conjunction with the shell/holster that HITMAN recommended and reviewed. That way if dirt gets in between the case and my phone, it won't scratch it up. Been there, done that!

Upvote 0

Phantom Skinz ARE elite! If used properly while wearing a 3 wolf moon shirt, you will be unstoppable!

Upvote 0
I installed mine last night (about 12 hours ago). And I still have what looks like tiny carbonated fizz bubbles in blotches under the screen? Is this normal, will it eventually smooth/dry out?

It also looks like the applicator squeegee card thing has left scratches in the phantom skin. UGH! I don't know if I should let this one sit longer to "correct" itself, or should I rip it off before it's too late and try to install 2nd skin? I didn't use any soap product, just water. I never touched the part where the fizz bubbles are showing up (so it's not skin oil or anything).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones