• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I am fixing to upgrade from an LG to a verizon droid. I was going to get the incredible, but while researching some things I found this site and heard about the droid x. Now after doing some reading I've got some questions. The original droid is free on wirefly. I've read about rooting, overclocking the processor and installing froyo. This doesn't appear too difficult and seems to give pretty good performance. On the other hand, I can get the droid x when it comes out. It won't have froyo right away, but it seems to have a lot of pretty good features. Which route should I go? Either phone does way more than what I have now so I'm not sure which way to go. Thanks, Scott.

Well the Droid might be old in terms of smartphones but it is by no means out of date once you consider the support from the developer community. The Droid X has some very nice features though - HDMI out, 720p video recording, faster processor and more ram. It also has a larger screen.

There isn't really a giant void in performance between the two once the Droid is rooted, so I'd say it's gonna have to come down to your own personal preference.

Considering the Droid X comes out on July 15, if you were to get a Droid from Verizon, you could even return it and get a Droid X when it came out because it's within 30 days.

Upvote 0
Before you purchase a phone, think hard and long about the following facts:
If you purchase the Droid, you are purchasing an "outdated" piece of technology. This might lead to future regrets.

If you purchase the Droid X, remember this point has a 4.3 inch screen. For some, this might be a great benefit. But 4.3 inches...thats huge. It will be like having a huge brick compared to a brick (Droid vs. Droid X).

Now there are many smaller things to consider such as firmware, etc. But the 2.2 should not be a matter of concern. Both phones are getting it at some point. The external factors you want to decide is if you want a keyboard or not.

Also, the Droid X will be faster, and more smooth. We, Droid users, can say that we can overclock but we can't make up for that RAM and other things. However, $200 can also be a huge deciding factor. Overall, the decision is up to you. You will have the Android community to support you.

Upvote 0
upgrading from a LG...im guessing the *shudders* Voyager, its completly up to you, I myself went from a Voyager to Droid last year when the Droid first hit the market. I have looked at the Droid X myself, but honestly, as much as some people don't like the querty keyboard that Droid has, I love it. At first it was tricky to not hit 2 buttons at once, but you get used to it, yes some of the new features are nice with the Droid X, but I still love my last years model

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones