• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone alarm used to work when phone is off and now it doesnt!!

ikram1234

Lurker
Feb 24, 2013
Ok so I searched this problem and ppl are saying android alarms dont work while the phone is off, mine did, up until I downloaded this app called "ringpod" its a ringtone/alarm maker, I set one of my mp3s as an alarm and my alarm clock stopped working! It used to turn the phone on but there was no sound for the alarm and now the phone wont even turn itself on when the alarm is supposed to go off, now the alarm only works when the phone is off. I uninstalled that "ringpod" app and it still doesnt work. I dont want to keep the phone on all night though. And no I didnt download any new task managers or anything, I had this app called battery saver but I had that thing before. If anyone knows whats wrong please tell me, its really pissing me off. My phone is U8651 by huawei and its on gingerbread 2.3.1

Thanks in advance.

Welcome ikram1234!
When you say it works when the phone is off, do you mean, "screen off" or "completely powered down" off?
And what alarm clock app are you using? The one that came with the phone or a different one?
Is the alarm "sound" option on? Perhaps it is muted?

Its completely off, I'm using the alarm that comes with the phone, I dont get it, now its turning the phone on again but sometimes the alarm wont go off. I actually turned off the battery saver to see if that does anything, so far I tested the alarm a few times and it has worked but I still dont trust it. The battery saver has this thing that makes it ask permission to connect stuff to the network(sorry I'm not tech savy) and it sometimes says failed to connect to network when I open the clock, I had the clock checked off for the asking to allow to connect, so I checked it on then off, then I just turned off the battery saver. Sorry if this isnt making any sense. But ya as of now after like 4 alarm tests, it seems to be working. I'm still not sure if its because of the battery saver app because I had that app for a while.

Upvote 0
There is a feature in Android under settings/system/scheduled power on,off
Not on mine there isn't.

In general, when an android phone is off it is off, and no app can wake it.

A few devices do support such behaviour, in some cases only when running particular software versions. This does mean that the device isn't really fully shut down, as Funky suggests ( I heard of some cases where the recovery module was the key).

But in general, no, it is not something supported by Android.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones