• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone-answering-in-traffic app ?

phon

Lurker
Mar 8, 2011
Hi, is there some app available with some kind of 'BIG' button to click on, and then sends (immediatetely) a spoken/written message to the sender that you are momentarily in traffic, and cannot answer because of 'in traffic-and-dangerous-to-call-because-of-distraction-and-will-soon-answer-as-i-find-some-place-to-park' ? :D

Hi, is there some app available with some kind of 'BIG' button to click on, and then sends (immediatetely) a spoken/written message to the sender that you are momentarily in traffic, and cannot answer because of 'in traffic-and-dangerous-to-call-because-of-distraction-and-will-soon-answer-as-i-find-some-place-to-park' ? :D
When you receive a call, it takes up the whole screen. So there's really nothing that can be done 'immediately' as the phone is ringing.

However, I use Tasker to automatically respond to received SMSs when I am driving. I'm sure there must be a way to set a default SMS to respond to a person that just called, that is triggered by a widget on the home screen...

But you're going to need to take that question over to the main Tasker thread for help with programming. The only problem remaining, will be making that widget big enough.

I suppose you could buy LauncherPro Plus (LPP) and use it to make a separate homescreen that is set up especially for driving, and activates when you are driving (I use original Launcher Pro to do this). From what I understand, LPP (The paid-'PLUS' version) would then also allow you to create larger widgets to use on the home screen

You would then be able to create the large button, that would only appear when you are driving, that would send a response SMS when it is pressed... but it will be tough to accomplish (and cost about $10 total in apps... but these apps are incredibly versatile and have several uses).

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Errrm... voicemail?

Depending on which phone you have it can be set to redirect an incoming call to your voicemail upon a button press. Just record the appropriate answering message...

But, really, WTF does it matter to the caller whether you're in traffic, or under the shower, or feeding the baby? Whatever the reason, the point is that you can't answer the phone now. That's the message! And that's the only thing that's important for the caller to know. Let 'm leave a message if they must.

My voicemail has no message. It just says "This is the voicemail of 555-5555. Please leave a message after the bleep". I'm assuming callers are intelligent enough to conclude that I can't or won't answer their call right now for reasons compelling to me. If not, sod 'm!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones