• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone.apk for Droid - add on

inssane

Android Expert
Dec 17, 2009
Chi-Town
This may be old news to some of you:
Modified Phone.apk v28.1, vibrate, black list, eclair, N1, etc.(0507) - xda-developers

This is the phone.apk included in cyan builds (I believe).
I just added it to BB V1 and it's sweet.
You need the "Phone.v28.1.eclair.drd79.zip" - for the Droid
Follow the installation instructions via SU terminal emulator and reboot the phone.
DONE

I "may" go back though because the Nex theme has the neural background in the call screen - this apk does not. The Nex theme also seemed to have a larger contact icon.

I will try it out for a bit. Maybe someone can "nextheme" this up.
Nick

Reactions: shrink57
I find the CyanogenMod dialer to be far superior to any other offering out there including Dialer One. It looks like it belongs on the phone, whereas Dialer One feels like a third-party app. It has all sorts of nice features too, so I can't complain. All in all, it's excellent and I think it should become the de facto implementation in other ROMs as well.

Upvote 0
I find the CyanogenMod dialer to be far superior to any other offering out there including Dialer One. It looks like it belongs on the phone, whereas Dialer One feels like a third-party app. It has all sorts of nice features too, so I can't complain. All in all, it's excellent and I think it should become the de facto implementation in other ROMs as well.

I don't find them mutually exclusive. I use both, as Dialer One really makes finding a contact easy and is not a full telephone standalone app. The 2 make a great combination.

Upvote 0
I don't find them mutually exclusive. I use both, as Dialer One really makes finding a contact easy and is not a full telephone standalone app. The 2 make a great combination.

Well I have under 100 contacts, so I guess it makes sense that I don't follow your train of thought. But yeah, I know Dialer One lets you search by phone number/T9-word style, so if you have a lot of contacts I suppose that does make it easier. Perhaps that'll be implemented in future builds of the Phone.apk from AOSP and therefore, in future builds of CyanogenMod.

Upvote 0
I'm gonna guess the hdpi is "high def ____" and the mdpi is "medium def ____". So you want hdpi because we have large resolution screens. Or you could dump both onto your SD card and install the hdpi one and if it doesn't start working properly, install mdpi as well. ;)
Makes some sense as the version in the hdpi folder is larger than the one in the mdpi folder.

Upvote 0
I uninstalled it because the nex theme has a larger contact picture upon placing and receiving a call.
I didn't realize there were two resolution apks to chose from as I did it all on my phone. The contact picture was definitely smaller than on the nex theme.
I will have to check it out.
Can anyone verify that the high versus medium have or don't have larger contact picures on the dial screen as compared to stock?
N

Upvote 0
Nice find Nick. I was always a big fan of the 45 second vibrate and was surprised the enhanced phone apk was not incorporated into Pete's and some of the other ROMs.
BTW - You have a great blog. I did a radio show in South Florida on the topic back in the mid 90's. The show ranged from educational to just plain old obscene :cool:

Hey thanks for the blog plug ;)
It still needs lots of work and I need to migrate from wordpress.com to wordpress.org for a little ad money, but that is a pain.

I will get back to updating it soon as I have fun finding crazy sex topics to splooge about. Thanks for checking it out!
N

Upvote 0
Well I have under 100 contacts, so I guess it makes sense that I don't follow your train of thought. But yeah, I know Dialer One lets you search by phone number/T9-word style, so if you have a lot of contacts I suppose that does make it easier. Perhaps that'll be implemented in future builds of the Phone.apk from AOSP and therefore, in future builds of CyanogenMod.

Dialer One (and aContacts as well) also offer speed dialing from the phone keyboard, which I really missed before I started using Dialer one...still can't believe the droid didn't ship stock with speed dial...

Upvote 0
Now I'm not sure if there is a thread with this topic in it, but I'm starting to get curious about editing apk files. I don't want to edit just the icons, I want to edit the whole look of it. Editing something like Phone.apk like making the caller ID pic bigger or something would be cool. I know they have something like this on Cyanogen I believe, but I want to keep the NexBeast look. Does anyone know the basics of doing that so I can experiment a little?

Upvote 0
Just a warning, DO NOT install this using Root Explorer. I tried it last night twice and had to fight through an onslaught of FCs before I finally just restored my system data. Ended up using terminal emulator which was super fast and easy.

Although, I gotta admit, I don't really see the advantages over the NexTheme dialer except for some vibrate notifications, and maybe some other options I won't use. I'm probably going to switch back to NexTheme dialer this evening. It just looks nicer IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones