Phone being replaced. Backup QuestionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Bullitt_McQueen

Bullitt_McQueen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Morning all. Phone has developed a very annoying buzzing/vibration during calls and Vodafone UK will be exchanging the handset tomorrow.

My question is, if I use the SE backup software will it backup everything? Apps, SD card files, settings etc. Has anyone had any experience of this, can you offer any advice?

Thanks,

Advertisement
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

I don't know much about the back up and restore function, so far I have only had to backup.

I recently installed the Appbrain app on my phone and synced my apps with that. I wonder if you do that, when you get your new phone as long as your google account details for the market are the same, that you can then reinstall them back to your phone.

Your contacts you can back up to your SD card and/or sync with SE's own sync or Gmail's (me being me, I'd do both!).

Your SD card can you not just swap that over into the new phone?

3. F1NinjaTZS

F1NinjaTZS Member

I used the backup and restore function a few weeks ago and it didn't work well at all. Despite saying it backs up your apps, it doesn't and it also lost all my contacts. Even more frustratingly my phone had always been set to sync with SE online and although I could sign in to my SE account and see my contacts I couldn't recover them from there either!

Luckily I'd accidently synced with Google when I first got the phone and I got my contacts back from there, but had to reinstall all my apps one by one from the market.

I would take rosered's advice on copying your contacts to SD and I now use ES File Explorer to back up my apps.

4. Bullitt_McQueen

Thanks for your input chaps.

Backed up my contacts to my SD card because I will be keeping that obviously.

Ninja: I didn't know about ES being able to backup apps. I've tried and I have to do them one by one. Is there no way to backup all apps?

Thanks again guys,

5. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member

Heya,

Astro file manager can backup and restore your apps, but to be honest its annoying because it restores them, but when you go to the market, it tells you they are not installed and if you click install on them again, they download and install again by accident, which is annoying.

I tend to leave it and just re-install my apps from the market. The paid apps usually always show up in your downloads tab on the market, and any free apps, I just try and remember them,

If your not bothered about the annoyance with the market, try Astro file manager :)

6. F1NinjaTZS

F1NinjaTZS Member

In ES just press the menu button then select Manager - App Manager and wait while the list populates, then press menu again and choose Backup. It'll back them up to a default folder on your sd card, or to any other folder that you want to create or choose in the application settings.

biffsmash is right though. I've heard that if apps are reinstalled from a backup then they're not logged in the market and so you won't get notified of updates. Still, you could always use the backup folder as a reminder of which apps you had even if you then go back to the market to install them.

7. F1NinjaTZS

F1NinjaTZS Member

Double post, sorry!

8. Bullitt_McQueen

Good call with the ES backup / reminder Ninja - thanks.

I've used the backup software on the phone itself to backup to the SD card and what with that handy little suggestion I think I've got everything covered. I'm sure they'll no doubt be something I've missed though, such is the way with getting any new device.

Thanks again though guys, I'll update with my experience in the near future!

9. powerkiter

powerkiter Well-Known Member

Do you use ADW?

If so remember to go into the options and save you layout and settings so when you reinstall it just load the settings and everything is where it was as before :)

10. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but the backup and restore option does NOT state ANYWHERE that it backs up your apps (just thought i'd point that out)

11. F1NinjaTZS

F1NinjaTZS Member

If I knew how to take a screen shot I'd show you, but let's not quibble. It didn't do it anyway - far better to use one of the file manager / explorer programs.

Update @MrWomble: Just checked for you. If you select the app then press the Info button in the corner the second paragraph says "A copy of any downloaded applications is also included in the backup".

12. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

You are not wrong Ninja, it sure does say that in the info section. It doesn't make it clear if it is actually doing it as part of the system settings bit of the back up tho.

I'll stick with my Powerkiter recommended Appbrain app and hope that that does the trick if ever I should need it.

13. Bullitt_McQueen

Love this forum, and the characters that make it what it is...

Anyway, I am typing this on my new handset and my experience is as follows:

1. I used the Backup / Restore app to restore everything and everything that it states it backs up was restored.

2. I am using Dolphin Browser and have done for some time but was not aware that I needed to install the bookmarks to SD adding so have consequently lost all of my bookmarks. Not a big deal really, I'll add them as I go, and I have now installed this handy feature.

3. Using SmartKeyboardPRO and utilised its backup and restore feature to restore all my settings there.

4. I have yet to use Ninja's helpful tip regarding the backing up of my apps as a list in order to restore manually. This is due to the fact that I can remember most of the apps that I owned so downloaded them from memory.
    N.B. The market only remembered my PAID FOR apps and not the free ones so make sure you keep track of all apps you download.

That's it for now. I'll update this thread should I come across anything else which may help others. Thanks to everyone who had input into this - very much appreciated.