Phone book sync problem

Last Updated:

1. tiwaini

tiwaini New Member This Topic's Starter

Having issues with gmail contact sync. I was using the blackberry tour which I synced regularly with outlook. When I switched to the Droid i exported the vcard into gmail and the gmail synced with my droid. The problem is some of my contacts have been merged with other contacts. For example, Nick with no last name was merged with Nick H that does have a last name. They should be two different Nicks and I dont understand why the droid is combining them.

I have checked the gmail account and the two Nicks are NOT merged together, but the two Nicks ARE merged on the actual phone. My phone was syncing with facebook and gmail but i disabled the auto sync and just manually synced the gmail on its own but i still have the same problem. I also have another friend with the same problem on her droid.

:confused:

Advertisement
  2. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

You can go into the edit contacts screen and split them. The droid really does much better with full names. I went ahead and edited all mine just to avoid the hassle of having joined contacts.

3. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

my issues more relate to gmail saving contacts of whoever I email, even If I don't want it to. anyone know how to stop it?

4. tiwaini

tiwaini New Member This Topic's Starter

I think I found the problem. I have another contact in my phone that has the same merger problem. One contact name was Dan and the other contact name was Danny, both contacts were merged together but when u go to edit the contact the android will give you the break down and you can seperate them by pressing the minus sign next to the phone number. Android contacts works great as long as you have FIRT AND LAST NAME! Otherwise it looks like it is going to merge contacts until you find the problem and edit the merge contacts.

Now i just have to figure out which contacts were merged and edit them. This is going to take a long time to fix with over 600 contacts. I hope someone figures this out and fixes this problem.

5. PsychoKlown

PsychoKlown Member

Fix is on Google Contacts. This combining feature is actually a plus in my book. It's one of the reasons I bought the phone.

Just add last names and you'll be ok :).