• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone bricked after 2.2 upgrade - please help

Hey. I feel terrible. Kies informed me that I could upgrade the firmware on my Galaxy S and of course I was happy to do so. Because I had rooted my phone to do the lag fix I first unrooted it, but FORGOT to undo the lag fix. (that is what you get if noobs start rooting :rolleyes: - will never root again - )

So I went ahead with the upgrade and all seemed well until I needed to reboot the phone, wich it didn't do. It showed the welcome movie, then a black screen with no response. When I try to get it started in 'recovery mode' it shows the - downloading - do not remove target - screen, but it isn't downloading anything.
Kies is not recognising the phone anymore.

Is there any way to get my phone back to life again?

Fear not! I did the same thing. I forgot to uninstall voodoo and got a brick.
Here is roughly what I did (by searching on the web)

1. go to samfirmware.com and download the previously working firmware version. for example, my 2.1 was JG4 so i downloaded JG4. Its a 512 pit version so you will need 512.pit file. more on this later

2. also download the 2.2 version that you should be upgrading to. For both firmware select the correct region which is shown in samfirmware.com but its not that clearly marked. also the passwords for these .rar or .zip file is shown as "pass = ", again not clearly marked.

3. download odin. i used version 3. In the .rar or .tar file you will see 512.pit which you will need.

4. reboot into download mode. your phone will clearly show it is in download mode. then start odin and point to the 512.pit file in the pit file box, point to the previous firmware version in box above the pit file box.
then go ahead and start the installation. it will take a few minutes and then your phone will be back to normal.

5. now you can use kies or use odin to upgrade to 2.2. If you use odin, dont point to the 512.pit file this time around. just point to the 2.2 firmware.

i was green at this also but after 4 hrs of trying different things it worked.
Samfirmware.com and odin was a savior!!

Upvote 0
Fear not! I did the same thing. I forgot to uninstall voodoo and got a brick.
Here is roughly what I did (by searching on the web)

1. go to samfirmware.com and download the previously working firmware version. for example, my 2.1 was JG4 so i downloaded JG4. Its a 512 pit version so you will need 512.pit file. more on this later

2. also download the 2.2 version that you should be upgrading to. For both firmware select the correct region which is shown in samfirmware.com but its not that clearly marked. also the passwords for these .rar or .zip file is shown as "pass = ", again not clearly marked.

3. download odin. i used version 3. In the .rar or .tar file you will see 512.pit which you will need.

4. reboot into download mode. your phone will clearly show it is in download mode. then start odin and point to the 512.pit file in the pit file box, point to the previous firmware version in box above the pit file box.
then go ahead and start the installation. it will take a few minutes and then your phone will be back to normal.

5. now you can use kies or use odin to upgrade to 2.2. If you use odin, dont point to the 512.pit file this time around. just point to the 2.2 firmware.

i was green at this also but after 4 hrs of trying different things it worked.
Samfirmware.com and odin was a savior!!

i strongly agree, i have done this upgrade several times and it's working. only i did not have to download the stock firmware. i followed which firmware 2.1 to flash first before flashing 2.2. in my case my stock rom is jf3, but since the instructions in samsungfirmware were clear for my region (i.e., europe) i had to flash xwjm8 first before flashing froyo (xxjpm and xxjpo). i have tried both and i prefer xxjpo. i also have applied voodoo lagfix.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. I looked at the site but can't find the file...I live in the Netherlands. Does it also fix that Kies tells me I can't upgrade to 2.2?

Thanks.
Mike

don't know if you can update using kies, i never used kies for flashing/updating firmwares. i used odin. Login - here you can download all the files needed to upgrade to froyo but you have to register first or go here Use Odin To Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 To Android 2.2 Froyo. tested on windows 7 home premium 64 bit. easily connect to kies after the upgrade (xxjpo and xxjpm)

good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones