"phone calls only" app or setting??General

Last Updated:

1. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Coming from a blackberry, I REALLY like the "phone calls only" setting. It meant that I didn't have to hear alerts all night for emails and text, but if someone called me I would know.

is there a similar setting, or at least an app, that provides this function? I think it's a good idea for those of us who don't have a land line, and dont want to hear alerts all night but forget to take off silent in the morning.

thanks for insight or input.

note: I searched, but I got hits for each individual word in "phone calls only", so there was an abundance of unrelated threads. also, I couldn't find anything directly in the android market.

Advertisement
  2. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member

3. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

This what I use

Profile - Android app on AppBrain

Profiles can be toggled from a widget or set to a schedule. Awesome app, responsive dev.

One of those "making it easier to go from bb to android apps"

4. seVer

someone just posted about the "Profile" app saying it forces a partial awake and kills battery... hmm

5. DroidSteve

DroidSteve Active Member

I use a widget called volume widget, free in the market. You can set three different custom profiles. I have day and night. At night everything but my alarm and ringer are muted. Very simple app but very effective. Hope this helps!!

6. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

Updated today to address some issues:

Version History
    12/05/2010 - v1.4.1
    Added option to select which volumes will be tracked by widgets/notification
    Bug Fix - Partial WakeLock not clearing after automatic time rule
    Bug Fix - Widgets not tracking any changes following reboot until main program is run

great app; better dev support

7. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

I use "setting profiles". Does almost everything Locale does minus plugins. It costs a lot less too. It also comes with widget for manually profile toggle. It's really good. You should check it out.

8. brian0488

brian0488 Active Member

I turn off the mobile network at night. You will still be able to make and receive calls and texts, but you will not get alerts for email, facebook, ect until you turn it back on.

Just hold the sleep button on the top of the phone and tap "mobile network"

I would like something automatic, but this works for me for now.

9. Mskgreenel

Mskgreenel Well-Known Member

I just got over it... I put my phone on vibrate before I go to sleep..... Most people who call me when I'm sleep would get knocked out if they woke me up.... My parents know that if there's an emergency that my ESP/ parental radar will wake me & if you call me enough the vibrating wakes me.... <--- Sorry not helpful... I get really cranky when I'm sleeping :)

10. seVer

got this after I read your post. will be testing it tonight for sure!

I didn't know about this feature. Guess I never saw it when I went to power off. thanks!

11. DawnGP143

DawnGP143 Well-Known Member

Try Quick Profiles in the market. Closest to the way a berry is that I could find.

12. asahi

asahi Active Member

Coming from a BB Curve I've tried:

Profiles
    Quick Profiles
    Toggle Profiles
    Locale

and maybe a few others.

My assesment is Toggle Settings is the best Free Profile Management App available (for my needs YMMV) and Locale is the best pay for app. I bought Locale and am using it and Toggle Settings. I had a few requirements that Phone and SMS make noise while all else is quiet and I was able to accomplish that with locale and a Plug In.

I've setup Toggle Settings on my wife's DI and I customized the profiles and setup rules to change the profiles for her. It's been working great and is easy to use.