Phone callsSupport

1. saifo1999

saifo1999 Member

hello im thinking of buy galaxy tab 8.9 but my question is can i make a phone calls with a sim card

Advertisement
  2. antnyp85

antnyp85 Well-Known Member

No. It is WiFi only. No calls. I've used Tango on it and made video calls, and you can use Skype on it. But you can't make traditional cellular phone calls (as best as I can explain). There's no place for you to put a sim card.
  3. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

There are 2(at least) versions: It's true that the P7310 is WiFi only, but the P7300 is WiFi & 3G.

As for whether it'll handle calls is another question, and one I'm looking for an answer to too.

It can send & receive SMS text messages, and I believe it's capable of calls too, but it lack a phone 'app'. Calls can apparently be instigated by choosing the call option from a contact; but that doesn't help if you want to call somebody ad hoc that isn't already a contact, and I don't know if/how it handles incoming calls???

Anybody with a P7300 care to enlighten us?
  4. marcusfilter

marcusfilter New Member

Tried calling my P7300 but it wouldn't push through, there's no option to call out as well. One more thing I noticed is that it will only accept 128k Sim and doesnt read Sim card lower than that

So far, I am enjoying this Tab

HTH
  5. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Thanks for the, albeit disappointing, first hand knowledge!
  6. marcusfilter

marcusfilter New Member

Anyways, it's too big for a smart phone, even if connected to a BT Head set...Data function(3g) will be sufficient for me. But, if there will be an Application that will enable the call function, why not...
  7. mattvanaardt01

mattvanaardt01 New Member

Looked at several forums and it seems the only really stupid thing about this tab is that the phone featureis disabled. REALLY VERY DUMB! ! otherwise its the best
  8. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Seems to depend on market, a colleague bought a UK unlocked example, and it supports fan calling and text out the box
  9. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

Can you not install either GrooveIP or Talkatone, linked with a Google Voice number for (free) VOIP calls through your tablet? My phone can do this fine, but I don't know how installing an app that is formatted for a phone size onto a tablet works.
  10. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

11. bumancuzbrah

bumancuzbrah Active Member

Im gonna try this.