Phone can not boot after failed update!Support

Last Updated:

1. Robban

Robban Member This Topic's Starter

I tried to update my galaxy s to 2.2 today.
    Unfortunately the update failed and I can not restore the old version.
    I have tried to use the 3 button combo but whatever I do the screen is just showing a picture of a broken link between a computer and a phone. So there is no way that I can make a data wipe
    Is there anyone who has an idea on how to fix this or do I have to send it back to be repaired?

Advertisement
  2. Bess833

Bess833 Active Member

Try to remove the battery to turn it off, and then using the 3 button combo to get to recovery right from the phone being off. Or better yet to download mode and then flash again using Odin.
    If you still can't get the 3 buttons to work, you can always try to heat up the phone as a last resort to get there before sending it to repair, as this error is pretty much the worst you can ask for.

3. Robban

Yeah. It is really the worst case scenario. I have tried removing the battery several times without having any luck.

What exactly do you mean by "heat up the phone"?

4. Bess833

Bess833 Active Member

Some people reported that despite their 3 button combo not working when they got their phone, they took out their SIM/Battery and used a hair dryer on the back of the phone to make it almost too hot to touch and then successfuly got into Recovery/Download mode. You have to be really cautious and careful, but it could be worth a shot.

On the other hand if you didn't void your warranty in some way, since you bricked your phone using KIES, you should easily get it repaired/replaced.

Choice is up to you.

Robban likes this.
  5. Robban

Thanks for the tip but I will probably try to use my warrranty to get the phone repaired.
    Sucks to be without the phone for a couple of weeks though...

6. bigdyl69

bigdyl69 Member

I had this happen on my 2 week old SGS, gottas send it back now. Tried for an entire night to get it into download mode but I think the FW update wiped the 3 button combo fix I put into the phone. Best get it repaired under warranty. From whyat Phones4U told me, the first thing they do with any phone they have returned to them is flash it with a generic firmware for testing purposes

7. ssadooon

ssadooon New Member

Hi
    i upgraded to android 2.2 and i was tying to upgrade to cynogenmod rom and it failed. since then i cant boot my phone. i can go to download mood or the root mood. but i cant do anything from there. i tried using the odin n reinstalling the os. it works but still i cant boot the phone. i need help.
    thanks

8. flimzy

flimzy New Member

Yo people, I had the exact same problem and got out of it. the 3 button combos were just bringing me to the broken link logo. I eventually got it into Download mode though. I took out mem card and sim, put in battery and held down home button and volume down button for about ten seconds before pressing the power button, probably worth a try.

9. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised Cyanogenmod ROM didn't work, since it doesn't exist for the Galaxy S yet. Did you try installing some other version, or are you actually referring to clockworkmod recovery?

If you can get to recovery you should be able to flash a fresh firmware on there.

10. nattyrol

nattyrol New Member

hey i had the same problem and couldn't boot my phone. tried the heat method that didn't work either. what i did was i removed my battery, replaced, pressed the combo buttons and got the same screen..continued pressing and it started flickering..it continued for about four minutes and wow! got right into download mode. i then went to odin and upgraded, can't tell you how relieced i am. I bought mine in Korea and didn't know how i could have sent it back. Hope it works for you

lokisek likes this.
  11. lokisek

lokisek New Member

This is exactly what works. The trick is to hold 3 button combo before you add a battery. It's difficult, but it can be done with small practice.