• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone cannot add events to Exchange calendar

I'm having an issue with my Exchange calendar. I currently sync my calendar and email through Exchange. Events added to my outlook calendar via computer show up on my phone and work perfectly. But, when I add events to my phone calendar, my only available calendars are my google calendars and my PC Sync. I never use PC sync. It does not give me the option of adding events to my Exchange calendar.

I had to reset my Exchange account after the Froyo update, and I thought that I had everything working properly. I don't add events to my outlook calendar through my phone very often, so it's likely that this has been an issue since Froyo. Has anyone else run into this problem or have any ideas how to fix it?

I too am having the exact same problem with a client's EVO running 2.2. Worked fine until it started getting the client/server error, cleared the calendar data as was suggested on a forum to resolve that issue. Now the only calendar that shows up to add entries to is the PC Sync calendar. Exchange is still syncing just fine and events that are added to exchange through Outlook on the PC propogate to the phone properly, but I can't add any on the phone to the Exchange calendar. I'll let you know if I can find a fix for this. May end up having to do a factory reset...

Upvote 0
In the Calendar app, click Menu, More, then Calendars. Which ones do you have selected? I have all but Exchange unchecked.

Curioser and curioser:
- When I do this in the calendar app, my Exchange calendar is not even listed. I can't check or uncheck it, because it's not there ... all the others are, but not Exchange.
- Exchange events do show up in the calendar, and when I tap on one to see the details, at the bottom it does show that it is from the Exchange calendar.
- I use the Android Agenda widget on my home page. When I click Settings, Calendars, Choose Calendars there, it shows the Exchange calendar just fine (and the widget shows Exchange events with all the others). But if I click '+' to add an event, it doesn't have Exchange as an option under 'Calendar'
- Settings, Accounts & Sync shows the Exchange ActiveSync account, but the sync indicator is greyed out, even though it's set to sync every 15 minutes.

Any ideas? I *hate* creating events in my Gmail account, because of the way it sends out invites. Anything personal during the day, I have to have also on my work account to block out the time. But instead of just sending the invite with the title like Exchange does, Gmail adds the whole "Invitation: (subject) @ date time (from)" which really clutters up my work calendar and makes it painful. Instead of being able to look at the calendar and see what the events are, all I see are a bunch of truncated "Invitation: ..." etc. Useless.

Upvote 0
Curioser and curioser:
- When I do this in the calendar app, my Exchange calendar is not even listed. I can't check or uncheck it, because it's not there ... all the others are, but not Exchange.
- Exchange events do show up in the calendar, and when I tap on one to see the details, at the bottom it does show that it is from the Exchange calendar.
- I use the Android Agenda widget on my home page. When I click Settings, Calendars, Choose Calendars there, it shows the Exchange calendar just fine (and the widget shows Exchange events with all the others). But if I click '+' to add an event, it doesn't have Exchange as an option under 'Calendar'
- Settings, Accounts & Sync shows the Exchange ActiveSync account, but the sync indicator is greyed out, even though it's set to sync every 15 minutes.

Any ideas? I *hate* creating events in my Gmail account, because of the way it sends out invites. Anything personal during the day, I have to have also on my work account to block out the time. But instead of just sending the invite with the title like Exchange does, Gmail adds the whole "Invitation: (subject) @ date time (from)" which really clutters up my work calendar and makes it painful. Instead of being able to look at the calendar and see what the events are, all I see are a bunch of truncated "Invitation: ..." etc. Useless.

If Exchange isn't showing up in the Calendar app's Calendars list, then it sounds like there was a partial account creation or deletion. I would delete the Exchange account on the phone, then re-create it -- making sure you have Mail, Calendar and Contacts selected to sync. I'd also set the Schedule to "As items arrive" i.e. using the Push technology.

Upvote 0
"To make ActiveSync (the service that connects the device to Hosted Exchange) happy, it needed to be the first account set up on the phone. The VERY FIRST. Which means, if you just took the phone out of the box, you would cancel the Google account setup prompt you get when activating the device, set up Exchange, and then go back and set up Google and all of your other accounts."

Hmm... never heard of that one before, but I could see how that might help.

Upvote 0
Hi,
This has worked for me on an HTC Legend (Froyo):
-Delete Exchange account
-Delete all agenda data
-Re-add Exchange account
If you use agenda widget, uninstall first and re install after creating exchange account.
I am now able to add Exchange events from HTC agenda or from agenda widget.

Welcome to the forums!
great bit of info. hopefully this will help others.

Upvote 0
Hi,
This has worked for me on an HTC Legend (Froyo):
-Delete Exchange account
-Delete all agenda data
-Re-add Exchange account
If you use agenda widget, uninstall first and re install after creating exchange account.
I am now able to add Exchange events from HTC agenda or from agenda widget.

Many thanks. Worked on my Desire and solveda problem that's been really annoying.

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones