Phone can't access settings for USB Debug

1. jdaddy

jdaddy New Member

I have a Sharp FX Plus ADS1 that I successfully rooted using a Linux terminal. I was able to push and pull apps between my computer and phone.

The main reason I rooted was to rid my phone of the bloat (twitter, FB, gmail, etc) and have as few apps starting and running at boot.

I removed a handful of apps and accidentally removed something that screwed up my phone. Here's what my phone does now...

- Upon initial boot, it gets to the AT&T splash screen and constantly loops.
    - Hitting Return multiple times during the AT&T loop can get me to the unlock screen.
    - Once at the home screen, no icons appear. Meaning, the call, home, message, settings icons do not appear.
    - Hitting the Menu button does nothing.
    - Hitting the Home button does nothing.
    - Holding the Home button brings up the recent menu.
    - Holding the search button + P brings up music, B brings up web, E brings up email

I can not get into settings to change back to USB Debug so I can reconnect via ADB

Booting into recovery and restoring does nothing either.

Does anyone know how I can access the phones setting menu when the settings icon is no where to be found and the menu key wont pull it up?

Or how to put the phone back into USB Debug without reaching the settings menu?

TIA

Advertisement
    :
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Welcome to Android Forums.

I moved your question to maximize possible responses.

... Thom
  3. jdaddy

jdaddy New Member

@Thom Little Thanks for that.

I figured it out. Here's what I did and hopefully this may help someone else out down the road. Luckily I had kept backups of every file I had removed from the phone.

- I ftp'd the backup files that I had removed from my phone to my website.
    - Booted my phone to the point of the AT&T splash screen loop.
    - Kept hitting Return until it stopped looping which booted it to the unlock screen.
    - Now that the phones booted to a non-usable home screen with no way of getting to the settings menu to put the phone back in USB Debug mode, I was able to "search +B" to open up the web browser.
    - The wifi menu popped up so I could access the web, browsed to my website and clicked on the needed app to download
    - After downloading the app to the phones SD card, there was no way of navigating to it to install it, so I was able to use the download dropdown from the browser, click on the file which prompted me to check my settings as it would not allow me to install from an untrusted source. This got me into the applications setting which I was needing to put the phone back in USB Debug mode.

Suweeeeet! Reconnected via ADB, pushed the needed file back to /system/app and BAM - fully working phone again. Now without twatter, FB and a ton of other useless junk removed. So far, phone's much more responsive and hopefully the battery will last a bit longer without so much sheet running in the background.

~Jdaddy