Phone charger? Does it matter?Tips

1. Copenhagen69

Copenhagen69 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if any micro usb charger would work? I had one for my Nexus S phone and it fits my G3 as well. Are there any drawbacks to using a charger that did not come with the S3?

Advertisement
  2. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

ive used a htc with mine if the ampage is about the same you can use it
  3. Copenhagen69

how do you check amperage on a charger?
  4. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I use a magnifying glass and a very bright light. :)

It's printed in very tiny print, usually black on black so as to make it as hard as possible to read. Don't want to make things too easy for the user, after all.
    Copenhagen69 likes this.
  5. Droid.Incredible

Droid.Incredible Well-Known Member

Copenhagen69 likes this.
  6. Copenhagen69

ya that does sound awful lol ... I will get my flashlight out I guess
  7. Hogan773

Hogan773 Well-Known Member

The At&T clerk told me to "use this charger" since it was more powerful. Indeed it appears to be a 1.0 amp charger. The Blackberry micro-usb charger I carry around in my bag is 700ma.

My question for any of you EEs out there is ....is there any potential negative issue with using a slower charge (beyond time?) I could care less whether it takes me a little longer to charge overnight but I'd like to keep one charger at home, one in my travel bag, etc and I don't want to go buy several new 1.0 amp chargers. Plus I use the same charger in my bag for my work Blackberry (yes someone still uses a BB too :))

I'd think the risk of using the bigger charger on the BB is that it could overheat the battery while charging. I ASSUME that there isn't a risk of charging the bigger GS3 battery a little more gently with 700ma instead of 1.0amp, but am I correct?
  8. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

No risk at all it might just take a bit longer