Phone/connection acting very weird - HELP!!Support

Last Updated:

1. surfmadpig

surfmadpig Member This Topic's Starter

So, I'm an HTC Magic user, I bought my phone unlocked from Greece and use it in the UK on Orange pay as you go. Following an sms w/ an attachment I received, the phone has been acting very strange and I need your help.

Ok, I'll try to make this as clear as possible. So, because I'm on pay as you go, I have two apn options, one of which is fake, so that i can change from/to the proper apn settings whenever I want and the phone doesn't automatically connect for any reason if I don't want it to (so as to avoid paying). I was on wi-fi most of the time anyway. This was working perfectly for me, until...

About 3 weeks ago, I received a txt message from 1550 (which, I think is orange's spambot) with the word "RockCorps" and an attachment. I accidentally clicked "download" and then clicked cancel as soon as I realised. I'm not sure if anything downloaded at all, nothing I noticed.

HOWEVER, following that exact message, suddenly, although I was on the "null", fake apn, my phone went on gprs. I could see the icon and the NetSentry app recorded activity as well. I have NO clue what it was trying to download or upload at all.

I went into the apn switching screen to make sure I wasn't still on proper GPRS from the last time, but the selected option was the fake apn, which, up to then, gave me no data. No settings had changed on the fake apn, but it seems that even without selecting it, the fact that I had the proper apn listed enabled mobile data.

After I deleted the proper apn it stopped sending whatever it was sending, but as soon as I added it again, a while later, it started doing it. Once again, my phone uses mobile data ALTHOUGH I HAVE IT SUPPOSEDLY RUNNING ON A FAKE APN.

I have also tried restoring all apn to factory settings (which deleted every option) and adding both the fake and the real one again, but even when it's unselected, the orange mobile network is STILL working.

Now, in addition to not wanting to pay for mobile data, I'm pretty worried because i find this behaviour really weird. I have "Enable always-on mobile" unchecked, btw.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Please let me know if there's any possibility my phone has been compromised, or perhaps Orange automatically sent some setting I cant' override or am I just overreacting?

In any case, if you do have ideas on how to restore the above into proper selection of apn (so that it's only on whichever I have selected) please let me know too.

:(

------------
    adding my phone details as listed in the about phone section:

1.) Model Number ? HTC Magic
    2.) Firmware Version ? 1.5
    3.) Baseband Version ? 62.525.20.18U_3.22.20.17
    4.) Kernel Version ? 2.6.27-dd63d1eb
    u70000@Android-X01 )
    5.) Build Number 2.16.401.5 146733 CL#33743 release-keys

Carrier ? Orange UK (payasyougo)

Country you are using your phone in ? UK, bought in Greece. Unlocked.

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Sounds like you might need to do a Factory Reset on the phone ...
    You will probably also have to unlock it again ... but the Reset will return the
    phone to the state it was prior to the change that happen (at least it should)

3. surfmadpig

surfmadpig Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the idea, justjimjpc.I found that the phone manual has a guide on Factory Resetting -the unlocking part is not going to be a problem, because I actually bought it unlocked (I <3 Greek mobile carriers - almost nothing is locked, ever!).

However, I wanted to ask you: What is the quickest/most efficient way to back up my contact data and then restore them after the reset?

4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Get the app MyBackup Pro ... let you backup everything ... Data, apps, and settings ....