• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone contact list overriding Gmail

Well this is completely annoying.

Droid 2 Global, Gingerbread, Verizon
Have been using backup assistant for new contacts. Never worked, never got it to sync right, never could access it on the Verizon website.

So nevermind to them. I'm switching to Page Plus anyway. Ha on you Verizon!

When I first got the phone I must have told it to add all of my FB friends because I had a ridiculous contact list with hundreds of people I haven't talked to since elementary school.

Anyhow - I exported all contacts to the SD card

Imported them to the Gmail account my phone is attached to

Cleaned up the whole list in Gmail

Exported that list to a Vcf

Replaced the existing vcf on the SD card with my new, cleaned up one

Deleted all contacts on my phone using Contact Remover

imported contacts from SD card (my new, improved vcf file)

All is good!

I make a few more changes to the contacts list in Gmail

I wait for it to update.... I can't wait... I'm impatient...

I go to settings>My Accounts>yaddayaddaatgmail>toggle the "sync Gmail" box to make it update

Well it updated, but not the way I expected it to. It used my phone's contact list to overwrite the Gmail contact list. IOW, the contacts I deleted in Gmail showed up again in Gmail and were not deleted in the contacts list on my phone.

I don't see a setting to set one to have preference over the other or anything like that.

??

No I think once it gets setup you should be ok with sync then. I had a similar issue with contacts and thats what I did and now its all good. I think not cleaning out all data left residue of the old contacts. Atleast that is what I am hoping. Clearing it all and starting fresh should give you a better foundation hopefully. That is my theory anyways. Hopefully it will be a one shot process.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones