phone contacts? ...cant find the answer im looking for

Last Updated:

1. wonka816

wonka816 Member This Topic's Starter

im finally giving in and planning to root my phone and enjoy 2.1 but all the contacts ive entered ive saved as phone contacts and i would like to keep them after i wipe the phone. ive tried searching but everything i find seems to only be about converting my phone contacts to google contacts which i dont want to do. is their any way to save my phone contacts and then sync them back with my phone after i root and have them still be phone contacts?

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

there are apps for making them google contacts, as well as some to back them up. The one I used exported your contacts to an excel file, which I then imported into gmail. At which point, they became google contacts and synced back to my phone. As far as I know, there's no real difference between them being phone and google contacts, except that google contacts sync back to the google cloud

3. wonka816

the only thing i dont like about them being google contacts is that i choose to show only the phone contacts in my contact list...i prefer not to see all my email contacts when i just want to call someone

4. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

I can't remember for 1.5, but on 2.1 you can hide contacts that do not have phone numbers.

open People, Menu, View, check "Only contacts with phone number"

also in 2.1 you can export your contacts to the SD card and then use gmail to import your contacts into the cloud.

people, menu, import/export.

wonka816 likes this.
  5. wonka816

well that solves my problem. i suppose ill just convert and sync my contacts with google then when i put 2.1 on there i shouldnt have a problem

6. wonka816

finally got around to rooting today and everything worked out great :) loving 2.1 :)