• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone contacts to Gmail Contacts

r7av7en7

Lurker
May 1, 2010
Hey guys, I just switched from an iphone 3g to the incredible yesterday. At the Verizon store he transferred my contacts from the iPhone to the Incredible. Now my contacts are displayed as "Phone" contacts but not synced to Gmail. Is there a way to sync my phone contacts to my gmail account?

I haven't seen any explicit option in the contacts menu that would allow Phone category contact into a google account category contact. As far as I know, the only time you can set that is when you're newly creating that contact.

One workaround would be to export all your contacts now to the sd card (Make sure what you exported contains all your contacts). Then delete all your current contacts in the phone list. Finally, import back the exported contacts and make sure to choose google account category. After that, you can sync it to your google account online.

Upvote 0
I haven't seen any explicit option in the contacts menu that would allow Phone category contact into a google account category contact. As far as I know, the only time you can set that is when you're newly creating that contact.

One workaround would be to export all your contacts now to the sd card (Make sure what you exported contains all your contacts). Then delete all your current contacts in the phone list. Finally, import back the exported contacts and make sure to choose google account category. After that, you can sync it to your google account online.

This is what I wound up doing and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0
Trying to wrap my head around this. My DI isn't here yet but I want to be ready when it arrives.

I use Yahoo! for email, but I do have a GMail account (it is set to forward to Yahoo.)

I have the current phone contacts here, downloaded into .CSV from my Verizon account, ready to be imported into GMail if need be.

Should I also be importing the contacts from Yahoo (deleting duplicates) into the .CSV that will be imported into GMail? As I understand it, this will give me voice dialing.

I want to continue using Yahoo for email.

Now, what about Facebook and Twitter? I have several hundred FB friends but follow about 4,500+ people on Twitter. Are all these 'contacts' coming into the phone somehow?

Sorry to be so dense. Just wondering how all these different lists are going to get along...

Thanks, kj

Upvote 0

The only problem I found with this is that Google syncs your phone book then makes your contacts pictures look like garbage. I wish there was a way to tell Google to sync them in a higher resolution. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones