• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone crashing then restarting

HAS5AN

Lurker
Dec 8, 2016
Hi all,

Hope somebody can shed some light on this issue I'm facing. All your input will be very much appreciated.

I purchased this S7 Edge DUOS (Dual sim version) around 8 weeks ago. Around 3 weeks into my ownership, I've started facing a persistent issue which I've tried to resolve with the best of my knowledge but unfortunately I haven't succeeded.

Randomly the phone will freeze for around 5 to 10 seconds and then restart. Sometimes a pixelated set of lines would appear across the screen when it freezes, a lot of the times they are green.

When the phone does reboot and I return back to the main screen, everything is back to normal and the apps I was using remain opened in the background, so it's not a proper reboot.

There is no such pattern on when this happens, it happens while being used on any app and a lot of the times it reboots while the phone is in my pocket. The only reason I realise is because the phone will be on the startup lock screen.

Battery life seems okay, nothing seems to be draining the battery. Although sometimes it does get hot and drains it temporarily.

I have cleared cache partition, done a factory reset and deleted third party apps. Nothing has resolved the issue. When I did the factory reset, the phone didn't crash for a good few days then started doing it again.

I just cannot work out what it may be and it's getting really frustrating!

I really hope somebody can shed some light on this, I am trying to avoid going down the return route.

Many Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hassan

Dear Hassan,

You have the S7 Duos, can you please help with explaining in more detail?
Are you actually using Two sim cards?
How much Storage Space is in the device?
Where did you buy this device from?
What carrier are you using?
How the network connection?
Battery %?
Thanks!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response.

The response to your questions are as follows:

- I'm currently only using one sim card (UK sim).
- There is currently around 12gb internal unused memory and 82gb unused SD card memory. I doubt this is the cause as there is a lot of free memory available.
- This phone was purchased from an online retailer, eGlobal Central. They import the phone into the UK. I believe this model is from the UAE (Dubai).
- I'm currently using a Three sim, I haven't tried any other sim in the phone yet.
- The network connection seems perfectly fine. I also receive a good 4g connection.
- This problem persists at any battery percent, I haven't noticed any pattern in this regard.

Hope this helps and many thanks for taking the time out to assist!

Hassan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones