Phone DesignGeneral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoo

Shoo Active Member

Don't know if this has been talked about...
    I received my phone like 12 days earlier than the 11/10 that I was told. so I am happy about that.

I love getting new gadgets so I really don't care how they perform.
    But the design of this phone is very floored. typing is horrible.

Was the device tested by humans? Outside Taiwan?
    The home key, phone key is absolutely unnecessary!!!

My right hand is going through pain already!!!
    I was shocked to see my batter life was 64% after using the GPS and checking my mail for less than 10 minutes.

What's up with getting an on screen keyboard???
    How much more would it have cost Google verse now and next year as promised?

Personally, the phone is not worth the hupe. Yes it is a new thing to look at.
    that's where it starts and thats where it end. Nothing unique here at all.

After 5 hours, I kind of miss my iphone already: no joke.
    Let's not mention the tower around my house has no 3G and so is the one around my office.

I believe the roll-out was rushed and HTC is not good with design. sorry.

Your thoughts:

Advertisement
    :
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

What does "floored" mean? It usually means "surprised" or "impressed", what do you think it means?

I have no trouble typing. Took a little bit to find the most comfortable way to hold it, but now I have no issues.

The home key brings you back to the desktop, it's similar to the Start Key on most Windows Mobile phones. It also functions as a task switcher, similar to pressing ALT+TAB on your PC. I don't see how that's unnecessary, no other function does this.

Turn off the autosync of gmail, calendar, and contacts. Turn off the WiFi if you're not using it. Turn down the brightness on the screen, and make it turn off after 30 seconds. Just doing those simple things will give you a lot more battery life. I can usually get through one day on one charge only. Updates will probably help improve the battery life, especially since this has been a typical complaint.

It's in development and will roll out in January with an update. Some people don't need an onscreen keyboard, others want one.

I disagree, there are a lot of unique things about it -

-First handset with the Android operating system
    -First phone with Amazon mp3
    -Syncs to gmail/calendar/contacts without a cable
    -Two words: Compass Mode
    -Pattern lock instead of password
    -Open source = open possibilities (have you even looked at the free stuff on the market?)
    -Only phone I've seen that has a trackball, capacitative touchscreen, and a fullscreen keyboard with seperate number keys.

To be honest, I think you picked up this phone without properly researching it. Considering how expensive the device is, I'm shocked you didn't look into it more before deciding to get it. Many of the things you do not like about it you would have found out about beforehand had you actually done any looking around. You also seem unaware of the unique features of this phone or of the possibilities of the Android OS. You also seem to not know anything about Google or it's commitment to improving it's products.
    Seems like you got this phone based on the fact that it's new, you're disappointed in the phone not because it doesn't do what it was advertised to do, but because you had unrealistic expectations that were not met.
    Your review is an example of what happens when people don't educate themselves before making a decision: disappointment.
  3. athlaig

athlaig Well-Known Member

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. mikeeh

mikeeh Well-Known Member

I've gotten used to the keyboard off the bat. Just use both of my thumbs and finally getting the hang of the letter locations.

regarding the looks, I actually like it, it's not snazzy like an iphone and I am more partial to the matte finish than glossy ones
  5. STORM3333

STORM3333 Well-Known Member

Wow no disrespect but i just don't agree at all with what you are saying here. You are absolutely free to your opinion, i'm thinking you need to spend more time with your device. I have fallen completely in love with my g1, and everyone around me. I have a good friend who switched from her iphone to the g1 and have had nothing but good things to say. I have great things to say about the iphone as well but bottom line to me is this phone is worth every dime spent. I've been with t-mobile for alot of years now and i have never been this greatful to them for offering this android. Viva la g1!!!:d:d
  6. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

The battery gets better if you change settings and charge it a few times (all common knowledge with ALL smart phones).

I prefer the look over the ickPhone (I can't believe I just used "ick").

The phone works great and the typing is easy for me. Do you have insanely huge or small hands? I even don't mind typing while it's charging.

I think I agree with punkzanyj that you bought without knowing what you were getting.
  7. Shoo

Shoo Active Member

Just classic...
    Anyone that disagrees with you is an idiot.

Re-read your statement.... it might make you feel better.

Horrah!!!! you are so much than others because you educate yourself! Good for you.....
  8. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I didn't call you an idiot.

But very few of your complaints were a surprise to me, and others, because we read up on the device before purchase. Some people even went so far as to pick one up and play with it at a store before buying it (which would've given you a clue about the keyboard).

You'll notice that I didn't say your complaints weren't valid. I cleared up some misconceptions, and clued you in on some features you didn't fully understand (the home button task switch functionality), but I never said you didn't have any legit gripes. I'm sure plenty of people were turned-off by the keyboard, and that's their thing.

I'm sorry if you feel insulted, but with anything in life, especially something as important and expensive as a phone you save yourself a lot of grief in the long run by researching and reading-up on it beforehand.

Had you done that, researched the phone, you probably would still be happily using your iPhone, not typing complaints on a website for a device you're not happy with.

And No I'm not better because I educate myself, I'm just happy with my purchase.

I trust the point of buying things is so that they will be useful to us and make our lives happier in some respect. Educating myself on something before buying it makes that possible. So no, I'm not better than you or anyone else, but I've got a new phone I love, and I am happy to have spent the money, isn't that worth educating yourself?
  9. solider

solider Active Member

I actually thought about the onscreen keyboard thing myself because this is actually my first phone with a QWERTY keypad so im not used to it. But i also thought that having an onscreen keypad would also take up a significant amount of viewing space. But like punkz said, some people like it, some people don't. Its more of a preference thing. Oh, and im getting used to the keypad already, which is actually alot easier than i thought it would be :)

The first time I saw the G1, my first reaction was, "That is one ugly looking phone"! BUT when i found out what the phones capabilities were, especially it being Opensource, I immediately thought that what it offers outweighs the design flaws a whole lot.
  10. pestilence

pestilence Well-Known Member

Common sense dictates that:

Either you do your research before you blow $200 bucks and commit yourself to a 2 year phone contract...

...or you don't whine when you fail to do so.

AND that you don't post 'Your thoughts:' at the end of your whine and then bitch about what people think!

Common sense seems to be fairly uncommon.
  11. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

Ok guys, we need to calm down a bit. Everyone has a right to their opinion and not everyone spends endless hours researching before they buy something. Point is, we don't need to be rude. Sometimes people get things prely based on the hype it has. I know I've been guilty of that in the past. Not everyone is gonna like the G1. It's a sad fact. Let's all just try to be a little more polite with our responses. Thanks.
  12. pestilence

Banned! Because people who buy stuff based solely on the hype are.. well lets just say I can't figure out why anyone would do that. The very idea is just absolutely crazy to me.

:D
  13. Shoo

Shoo Active Member

Dude...the last time I checked it was not your $200 bucks.
    So stop.

I can whine about a product. I can praise a product...so stop acting like kids as if the product is your dad's.

I spent $400 on an iPhone and I still own it. I have been with TMO over 4 years. I can buy what ever I want because I can afford it. Sorry if it is not the same for you.

Who said I can't buy it to test it out. I will give it away if I don't like it.

So chill out. I hate forums where you have kids that have no respect. The post does not have your name. So why are you bendth out of shape?
  14. pestilence

Heh - you quoted me but attributed someone else.

Why the griping if you have such a casual attitude with your cash? You really did come across like you were outraged.

I'm 38 - stop assuming I'm a kid.

For future reference I will just assume that you are kinda crazy and avoid your threads :D

Peace.

Edit: Ohhh.. I think I see now why I thought you were outraged... was it the triple exclamation points and question marks in your first post?
  15. Shoo

Shoo Active Member

Yea..the reply was to you.
    Really.. you are 38? Did not sound like one.

The thread was just a discussion. I did not say it was the worst thing on earth. I pointed out the issues I had with the device. If you read my post I said I was disappointed with what I thought was the short comings.

I am not here to make enemies..
    It is a forum to share ideas not bash people. I stay clear of such places.
    Do not read my post... it does nothing for me. Peace.
  16. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

Ok, obviously my post went pretty much unnoticed so I'm gonna save everyone from what this thread can become.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.