• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Doesnt Recognize PC After Refomatting

D

Deleted User

i got xp pro sp3.. its no problem for my samsung S3 and PC to recognize each other via usb. but everytime i reformat my hard drive, i'm unable to reconnect my phone. the status bar notification that tells me the phone is connected doesnt come up.. all it does is make a beep.

the only way to connect is by factory resetting my phone. i dont want to do this since i'll have to reinstall all my apps and settings. how do i get my S3 to recognize my pc again without factory resetting it?

Uh, I have 4 Windows computers at home. Two of them only got reformatted once, when I updated from Vista to Win7 because I wanted a clean install. The other two never, and all of them are over a year old, the oldest being around 5 years old. You don't need to keep reformatting your hard drive.

Anyway, yes, the thing is, after you reformat the hard drive, all the Samsung drivers would be gone.

Upvote 0
Uh, I have 4 Windows computers at home. Two of them only got reformatted once, when I updated from Vista to Win7 because I wanted a clean install. The other two never, and all of them are over a year old, the oldest being around 5 years old. You don't need to keep reformatting your hard drive.

actually i had to since i got hit by a virus. i had no choice but to restore from a backup image.

Anyway, yes, the thing is, after you reformat the hard drive, all the Samsung drivers would be gone.

yes i know this, and i reinstalled the samsung drivers again after restoring my computer. but now the phone wont recognize my pc. its only after i factory reset my phone that it recognizes my pc again. and the drop down notification on the status bar that gives the option of connecting by mpt or ptp doesnt show. all it does is make a sound when connected. i've done this before several times. the only way to restore connection is by factory resetting my phone.

but i dont want to factory reset my phone again and again when this happens. i think when a computer is restored and samsung drivers reinstalled, some new code in usb is created so that the phone doesnt recognize it. so how do i get my phone to recognize my comuter again?

Upvote 0
Not sure if it has any bearing. I always have Kies installed even if I don't use it for anything else other than software updates. Its the only difference I can see between our setups though. Kies always detects Samsung devices connected and updates the drivers accordingly.

kies may be the missing component missing needed. but i went ahead and factory reset me phone. it recognizes my pc.. but if i need to restore my pc again i hope that kies will do the trick. lets see what happens

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones